Monday 20 November 2017

Easely not Weasely

OK, some of my friends have asked: why on earth did you opt for a Buchla Easel rather than a bunch of Eurorack modules with the same capabilities or more? I'm well aware of the options.

It's an easy thing to answer: I liked the complete/closed nature of the Easel and its simplicity. If we were talking about yet another box for modules, yet another open-ended system to be expanded forever, then I'd be totally uninterested. Eurorack is already occupying a particular place in both my studio and headspace. It's why I'm keeping it constrained and limited.

I started a 15 min selbstportrait piece. It initially seems OK but I'm torn between making it melodic and conventional and something more abstract. Got a little while to think about it though so perhaps a new instrument will inspire me soon ;)

The Data album is done. I'm happy with it, at least at the moment. Of course a sensible person would sit on it for a few more weeks but I'd rather get on with something new. Onwards and... onwards.

Here it is https://paulnagle.bandcamp.com/album/data

Theory now is that the Easel will be here next week having been sent last Monday. I guess customs like a really good sniff at stuff.

Reading an Alistair Reynolds with a very long-lived species not too unlike my Vaneer. Interesting that many of the same issues are dealt with, most particularly data gathering. OK, probably just a logical extension of an obvious idea but does make me think I'm doomed never to have a truly original idea. Especially interesting is a machine making transition to flesh - something I dealt with in 'From Beer To Eternity'. Oh well.

Easel here tomorrow! I even have courier tracking. Expect my next blog to be full of it. So to speak.









No comments:

Post a Comment