Tuesday 5 June 2018

Diddly

Playing with Tim's Digitakt kinda confirms my feeling that life is too short to try and learn another piece  of  Elektron kit. Powerful though it surely is, everything takes so long to accomplish. Even the new Electribes are fast and slick in comparison - and you know how much I moaned about them!

Re-reading Hitch Hiker's, I'm forced to conclude that the efforts to weave a plot around the original episodic nonsense actually weakens it. This isn't just a 'first is best' type observation either.

Similarly, it seems the only misgiving I now have about the Grandmother technically (I'll never forgive the stupid name, sorry) is that they used Voyager VCOs, not even actual Minimoog ones. IMHO the Voyager (another stupid name synth) is an episode in Moog's history best forgotten. Makes me think of Edgar Froese in a way, who you could only really assess as an artistic force once he was dead and therefore unable to produce any more of the turgid music he'd been spewing out in his dotage. Does not damage his legacy at all BTW, just shows you that people get old. I'm still in awe of what he achieved, as I am Bob Moog, but let's not pretend the later stuff is anything special.

Now if I were reviewing the Grandmother (which happily I'm not), I'd want to try it with AJH Minimoog VCOs going through that filter/VCA. I'd be able to moan about the stupid name, suggest that a Doepfer ribbon might fit across the panel which has the name on it, perhaps I'd admit to liking the colour scheme and the form factor before doing my inevitable 'this is Moog's Music Easel' comparison. Anyway, maybe I'll write about it here when it comes, who knows?

I've been enjoying the sunshine, taking pix and not doing a whole lot except potter in the garden. Oh, the new Klaus Schulze album is like death that's been warmed up then left to grow furry fungus that can hopefully pass off as life. I may well be producing shit and forgettable music these days. But I'm not the only one.






Right, just a bit more sitting down to do then I'll do something...



No comments:

Post a Comment