Tuesday 18 May 2021

Species Gap, mastered. And a new sequencer

 I went through all the Gas Giant tracks today splitting them into individual files for mastering. I also added one or two noises and whooshes and whatnot where the transitions were a bit suspect or something annoyed. I'm just listening through to make sure the additions, minor as they are, don't annoy in the future. You have to be careful with whooshes so they don't sound too formulaic and I did have a slight pang at one of them. We'll see how it hangs. Then it's off to Dean to sort the mastering - worth it whether we get anyone to put it out as  CD or not. Think I proposed the alternate title Matt thought up for one track as the main album title - he agrees. 

Listening to the 'gaps version' I think I like it better than the usual flow type. Maybe it's the mellotrons but the shorter tracks and spaces between has some Sorcerer-like vibes. 

So that's that. Gonna buy that mixer of Tim's that is knocking around too. It's a simple thing but for all my other mixers I have a two bus system meaning I can route any track to the BB without it affecting anything else. The old one I was using had a Mute/Alt thing going on - which wouldn't have been terrible except that I like to record my effects sometime. OK, often. As soon as you engage the Mute/Alt34 button, the track's aux sends stop working - could see no obvious workaround, unless it was to use the FX only as inserts - but then you can't record them separately, which is a very cool BB trick: you don't have to play the FX track in parallel with the corresponding regular track. Anyway, it's a newer mixer and has FX, which are easy to record also, giving me more options without adding extra stuff.

In experiments yesterday, I found I really liked some of the Klark Teknik reverbs in Tim's mixer. 

Today seems fairly nice so I wonder how many decent days we have missed that would have been good walking days. Oh well, going out on a Friday isn't terrible; indeed I agreed to go to Slaidburn a couple of weeks from now, also on a Friday, to pick up John after a week in a cottage up there. I think this is 'end of album euphoria' and should not continue as a trend ;)

The Virtual Glasto is on apparently so that will be a wild night in Longridge, no doubt. 

Where am I? Sat with a ton of reading to get through. Still have my pal Jason's 'Bremly Diaries' which I tackle a few chunks at a time but on top of that he's sent me a short story too, plus I'm really enjoying a Neil Gaman book Bammy lent me, plus I now have a printed manual for a new sequencer to go through.

The sequencer came yesterday and I spent a jolly afternoon with its creator. I think at this stage I'll tell a few people about it individually as I feel my way around it ready for preparing some feedback. Apologies for being mysterious but I have to respect the dude's wishes, of course. 

Right, here's some photos from Friday's walk.






No comments:

Post a Comment