Saturday 21 January 2023

Haken Editor and Super 6 MPE

 Well, I intend to try the MPE mode anyway, haven't yet. Tried the Haken editor on my old Mac but it's no use unless I update my OSX, which I have no intention of doing. Did get it working a bit better on laptop but I'm going to need to draft in a second monitor if I'm to use it for any length of time. First I need to read a bit of the basics and also the thing about my Osmose firmware (Load Update File 2). Thing is I don't want to spend too long solving computery problems when I can just sit and play. One day I'll make some of my own instruments on it but probably not for a while and won't be as good as experienced designers. Putting my hopes in Howard. 

Sorted out how to do the RD9 prefs at last, wanted to be able to set various values per pattern and the song loop mode. 

Well, the Super 6 MPE works - after a fashion. Feels a bit steppy though, probably due to 7-bit controllers - but the vibrato is nice. However you have to keep re-enabling MPE for every patch, which is a drag and using the mod matrix on the Soup still sucks. OK if I stay in Manual mode I guess but I think I preferred regular Poly AT and the Blofeld as my external synth, so that's how I'll keep it. Actually the results were better when I turned off the dynamics control and not so bad at its half setting - but having the Soup there next to the Osmose still felt wrong somehow, you start becoming aware of the Soup's shitty keyboard and sluggish sliders for a start. Anyway, putting things back as they were today (Friday) so I can get stuck into a Friday sesh. Was gonna go out with Pat and the dog but she didn't leave until after 10:00 and I like to get an early start for my afternoon's music. 

Continuing to worth through Eagan Matrix videos and not finding the difficulties expected. Have seen some people say that it's impossible but it really isn't, especially if you're used to a synth like the Synthi with a pin matrix. The use of formulae instead of pins of different resistances makes sense to me and the idea that all sounds are intimately bound up with the available controllers also seems spot on. Must sort that extra screen.

Friday was a good one

I should add that it's Saturday morning and I haven't listened through yet so the usual caveats apply. Went to see Broc do his agility last night - freezing cold and mayhem of dogs, especially silly collies, but good fun and Broc had a ball. Today might get to see Tim's eBay guitar fx box, a Behringer version of the Pod IIRC. 







Hopefully next week we'll be walking again. Got my axe now, which is apparently to stop you when slipping down a hill, so that's something I didn't know. Tony had a long cold and the tops are lovely and frosty, which must be frustrating for him. I've coped by lots of playing. ;) Am out of weed though :(




No comments:

Post a Comment