Sunday 28 July 2019

Tao of Glass

I could have taken a photo of the Flying Scotsman but I didn't.
John and I went to Manchester to see a rather interesting thing at the Royal Exchange Theatre. It's always good going anywhere theatrical with John as he's so loaded with useful titbits of knowledge and memory. I think the show worked better for him than me though.
The theatre is lovely - a sort of apple with a central, rotating stage and the audience wrapped around it and upwards. The show was essentially one man's story of the parts of his life in which Philip Glass featured, whether on vinyl to annoy his dad or chasing him around trying to do some kind of collaboration. This chap's tale was punctuated by puppets, flying sheets of paper and four excellent musicians who made the whole day worthwhile for me. It could have been better if the main chap was an actor rather than a director type who fancied having a go, but what the heck.
Later we had some beer, at double the Preston rate. Bars where this wasn't the case were so rammed we gave up trying to get served.


This is a bit of it


The day after (Sunday), I began work on a piano piece laden with simple, repetitive motifs. I overlaid this on the reverb part of the Synthi recording from the other day - and since it was 18 mins long, I looped and repeated a few parts then did a mad free jazz improv at the end to fill it out. Listening back there are some good ideas, it just needs a more thoughtful arrangement. I may even keep a fair chunk of the improv parts as they mix nicely with the reverb whooshes. Even while working on it I was thinking it might fit with the more mellow piano thing I did when Pat was away. I suppose I've never done a piano album so perhaps I'm already half-way towards that non-existent goal.

Oops, it's a week later and I probably have nothing to report. Was meant to be going round the Trough of Bowland with Tony but our plan was thwarted by the hottest day on record. I pointed out there's no cover up there and it would be unpleasant so, instead, we walked to the Conti and had lunch and beers.

It's been too hot this week to get into the studio but the rain is now cooling things down. I should do a module review, or something, but I'm finding my life so much better now I ignore the news and everything Eurorack.








No comments:

Post a Comment