Monday 16 October 2023

Barp vs Karp

 Or B-Ody vs Ody, I dunno. I bought Tony's Behringer Odyssey with a view to selling my Korg but there was a problem at first - I wasn't sure it sounded as good. I'd done a few days of just playing the two, playing identical Cirklon patterns in both and comparing. While the Behringer won on features, the Korg's oscillators sounded, to me, fatter and bigger and most distinctive. To cut a long story short, I solved it when I fired up the app and disabled soft thru. Bizarre but true. Also found an option to keep my sequencer sync but not have it start every time I send a MIDI start. 

Quick summary: Behringer has a nice keyboard and a MIDI Output - something Korg neglected on their MS20 keyboard version too. And it sends velocity - tweak the app and you can even play accents or do it via MIDI. The Body has a stereo effects unit but Behringer stupidly summed it to mono - Tony has fixed mine but I need a lead for the XLR output to try it (the one lead I had didn't work). Anyway, just having the knob to bring in some reverb is actually quite nice so a plus there. The Body's sequencer is a bit naff - over-complicated - but the arpeggiator is darn handy. 
In general I really like the feel of it, the sliders are longer and smoother than Korg's and have variable strength LEDs on the tips. It's smaller and neater than a real Ody and I guess the next thing is to try Tim's against the two. Oh and the Drive switch on the Barp is a larger leap in gain than the Korg's, a bit unsubtle actually. 
Having both might not be all that crazy after all...



Friday was a good sesh, used the Wolfman samples a bit. Saturday we did Yessey, on good form, sorta abstract and Tim not drinking as heavily as I was.Sunday I began the destruction of the library (the only room downstairs with any personality), moving the books I want to read again (or just keep) upstairs. 
Monday I selected some pix for next year's calendar, will go through with Pat tonight. This afternoon will continue moving stuff upstairs, do photo of telescope for ads and to sent to Janet/Lisa. Nowt back from George yet so I suspect his backtracking was his last word on the subject - he ain't great at dialogue, as I know from testing. May visit Matt this week, lend him the Prodigy. Contemplating a Microcosm again but not decent demos appear to show what I want....

No comments:

Post a Comment