Tuesday 25 November 2014

Heading north

Well, the Fixie Wixie Pixie has worked his magic, heading up tomorrow to get my stuff (and take the SH-101 for a new switch). Seems the Microwave 2 doesn't have a battery for its globals either so I'll check whether I'm simply being an idiot or there's some weirder reason it always defaults to channel 1 on power up. Confess I
had forgotten about the power off button as it's actually a stand-by I never use it. Still, if the encoders are better now that's excellent.

The encoder on my ESX-1 has gone wrong already - that's the replacement one Tony fit for me last year. Bloody things, I really don't like encoders much. Used to but too many issues with them.
I'm also a bit disappointed the Perfourmer mk2 has a failing power supply after only 2 years.



Micron should be fine for a while now, new encoder and sounds like almost all the switches replaced. Not quite the bargain it was but what the hell.

Was stoned yesterday (waiting for new Volca, still not arrived) and therefore agreed to do another Binar gig. Hope I don't regret it as sometimes it's best to leave them wanting more. We did some great stuff but is there any more in the tank? I wonder if the gig I saw recently made me think we should show them it's possible to play really live? I've asked myself a few questions today but have precious few answers. Still, the man can play like a god so what the hell!

So anyway I thought I'd work out the sequence for 'The Haunted Doobie'. Took me a few goes actually, especially as I'd remembered it in the wrong key. It's hard to get very close to the sound (and immediacy) on the Analog Four and once again I'm wondering if I'll spend years on this thing only to ditch it in frustration. I may just have grown too close to Colin's sequencers and Korg's drum machines to ever be satisfied with anything else. If the new electribes impress me, perhaps I'll jump ship one more time. I can't honestly see Elektron listening to the ideas I've sent for improving the speed for live performance. Colin will though.

I released another JIC archive the other day. Will let those rest for a while. Contemplated getting some of my older stuff out but whenever I listen to it I don't think it's up to scratch. Could be that my best recent release (And Darkness Falls) would have been a good one to bow out with. More and more I want to make stuff that's wonky and imperfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment