Wednesday 12 November 2014

Prime numbers, noodles and easy vs hard

So I spent a couple of days making this weird looping string quartet thing on the Analog Four. By weird coincidence I'm talking with someone about doing some other looping material and I was wondering whether doing it in hardware might be good.

The Analog Four is a fine thing but it's still slow to use and at the moment subject to those random level fluctuations that I suspect is a bug in the voice-sharing there since day 1. Annoyingly I had a situation where I could turn on two tracks and cause a dramatic change in another but instead of saving the kit and sending in the pattern to be looked at, I kept tinkering until the issue became less obvious.

I can see myself working with this for a few years then dumping it in frustration. I'm just used to working faster. As an exercise, I replicated the prime number loop thing with Cirklon and the Korg Radias. It took me about 10 mins, and that includes the Radias patch programming too. Of course with Cirklon I can do a lot more but so far have just added random gate masking. Will add random note transposition too if I feel it necessary but as I now have the two looping, it's mayhem!

The numbers I chose were 47, 53, 59 and 61 as they're the longest primes I can put into a single A4 pattern. Cirklon isn't quite so restricted.



I got a new rack laptop stand) allowing me to stack the A4 above the Blofeld. Room for the Dark Energy which I'm gonna drive from the CV/Gate once Tony makes me some nice leads. Had a lot of fun with the ESX-1 the other day, the new electribes are gonna need to be very impressive to make me turn away from that.

I really do prefer an easy and fast user interface. I may have complaints about Cirklon but it's still light years better than any Elektron sequencer. Darn.

Aphex Twin waxing lyrical about Cirklon recently. Colin's head will be expanding. :) People occasionally ask me if I feel my contribution is not recognised enough. All I ever reply is: enough?

Right, should do some work. Heh been saying that all week. Colin/Tony coming so need to tidy up at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment