Friday 10 February 2017

The Lone Arranger

Yes, I decided to try yet again to master the Arranger, that tiny corner of screen that does so much, so cryptically. Like you have to remember that to reach looping you must first pass 'Halt' (but don't collect £200). My idea is to use the Arranger to store the tempo of the first pattern in each bank. That way, as long as I remember to go into the arranger to change banks the tempo should be fine. Once changed it stays at the tempo last set.

My problem so far is that after a bit of noodling and playing with patterns on the OT and A4, I slip into the Arranger and of course it immediately flips to an earlier pattern with a different tempo before I can select the row I want. Must be a workaround but leaving it for now. Might work, sledgehammer to crack a nut scenario but making myself graft. Goodness knows why, maybe to prove I still can?

Someone on Elektron list says it shouldn't work that way so I'll verify tomorrow.

Check the MIDI sequencer to see if it's possible to send a MIDI Program Change in the first pattern to the A4. Should be, hopefully, that way I can consider setting it up too.
Verified - it can! With (partial) bank select if needed. Successfully changed patches on A4 and it does it intelligently - doesn't resend the same one.

However, I think I was wrong the other day about default settings being more sensible. Pretty sure I created a new project today and all the LFOs pointed at pitch.

Harvested samples from Olympus recorder, some good, some not good enough. Sadly the Lanzarote birds fall into the latter category - spoilt by wind noise and distance. If I'm going to do the latest Electronic Music Philosophy challenge I'll have to go back to some earlier field recordings. Maybe even the Chinese ones - never did record better than with that little Sony setup. Wonder where that mic went?

Anyway, taking the Lyra-8 to see Tony and have it sorted. Then the review can be finished off and submitted again. I'll also get to hear what it's like without the OTT filtering of the delay noise.


Later...
The Lyra-8 is modified - it's less sensitive now but no more random drones (I'll miss them sometimes) and best of all the long decaying envelopes finally work. I also got the delay's filtering changed to allow most of the noise through. Didn't do the other mods as we got sidetracked thinking the LFO had stopped working - forgot the bloody switch on the back which must've been touched during the update. Chased it for ages before I remembered the CV input. Idiot I am!
Anyway, it'll fit into my live rig perfectly, will try different FX with it and possibly a noise gate for the 'organismic' side. Probably stick with the distortion pedal I'm using.
Contemplating swapping the KS4 for my SH-101 in that setup too, for simplicity but also the directness and sweetness of tone would be a nice contrast to the Lyra. Will try it out and see how it fits in.

Another shock today - an old friend died. Martin RIP dude. He stayed here once and I visited him in Denmark, must have been 2000-2001 maybe. Strong memories of that visit. Facebook delivers non-stop misery these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment