Monday 18 December 2017

An old thing comes back

A frustrating and painful weekend. My vaguely aching groin and lower back pain burst into a full-blown painfest Friday morning as I took Jasper out. No idea why but it's Sunday morning now and I'm still getting sharp pains and dull aches combined. Pat reckons I have a lumpy bollock too, how marvellous. If still like this, I'll be trying to get past the 08:00 phone lottery they run at our surgery.

The replacement Buchla keyboard arrived and I fitted it, along with the CVGT1 module.

Spent Friday afternoon and a good chunk of yesterday putting it through its paces, boosted by lager and weed to dull the pain.

Thoughts:

Keyboard felt better at first, definitely more responsive to light touches. Even triggerered once without being touched.

Unfortunately the keys that used to stop responding (those around note 18) becomes unresponsive here too. New keyboard so what on earth gives? That particular F just seems destined to be a problem and it makes me wonder if there's something special about its voltage or ability to generate a trigger that is inherent in the circuitry. Made a complete list of the keys that always work and those that always start to fail. I don't think it's something I can solve, which rather annoyingly means I'll be going back to square one and trying to source one that works reliably. I dearly hope such a thing exists.

Another thought, helped by the CVGT1: It becomes a completely different synth with a normal envelope drafted in. Actually changes its character so much it becomes a bit ordinary, like an out-of-tune regular synth. Hmmm. On the other hand, adding an LFO from the Tonestar and having it modulate the wavefolding and AM amount simultaneously, a wonderful thing and somehow far superior to the handling of the Aux card.
BTW I'd been puzzling over something on the aux card for ages, thought it me being an idiot. It turns out that it doesn't always accept the physical position of its switches. Most notably the one saying that CV input comes from the banana jack. It seems to take 'pressure' as default until you flip it away from its correct position then back. Mad.

Ultimately, I haven't been able to do as much this weekend as I wanted. Can't visit my mum today cos of back, did a Buchla video explaining the issues, had some shortbread to ease the pain (which helped spawn a novel chapter I'd been struggling to start)

Docs this afternoon. It was agony this morning after feeling like it was getting better last night. Very frustrating. Baby coming tomorrow too for a couple of days, gonna be tough.






Christmas is looming, like a fat old priest smelling of sweat and tobacco.
oh tidings of great teeth-gritting

No comments:

Post a Comment