Tuesday 16 January 2018

Another try

I can't fault KMR Audio. They have really done their best to get me up and working. Their latest suggestion was to try an Easel-K and see if that triggers reliably. Apparently it has superior MIDI too so I could, in theory, add a keyboard for regular chromatic playing. I still have the same reservations about the storing of definitions but that might not be an issue in future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd7un0AlrEi/

Well, dopey moi. Fairly sure I'd worked this out myself earlier then forgot again. But anyway, of course, the Easel-K doesn't have MIDI, just a MIDI socket! I think the guy in the store was trying so hard to get me working he got wrong end of stick. He was even telling me on the phone it was possible to set a specific MIDI channel, bless. Anyway, it's going back. The Kinesthetic controller is not a good match for an Easel anyway; it's designed for a much larger system. The arpeggiator is a complex piece of shite too.

I think I'll get a Shuttle System from them, just because I think they worked really hard for me and also because the single system idea really appeals and the oscillator is very impressive. Still gonna test drive a clone but at this stage, not sure if the shine has gone off. All depends I guess.

Some good review modules have arrived, one in particular (naturally the most expensive) could easily find a place in my armoury. Assuming I continue to hemorrhage cash for gear I don't really need that is. Let's face it, I have more than I need to make music with. Indeed, new gear is being advertised for NAMM and happy to say I'm not excited or bothered to be out of the general reviewing game. Can see me dropping out even of online synth discussions, forums, everything. I miss the simpler days with a few bits of gear I know inside out and record on a 4-track or something. Everything you get now, you're immediately waiting for fixes or updates or questions answered. And somehow the shine goes quickly on a lot of new stuff, no idea why. Perhaps cos it all feels a bit rushed and desperate. That said, if I keep the A4 a Behringer Model D would be a sensible partner.




A snapshot of the 3 current boxes: sequencer, processing/mixing/modulating, drones/ambience 
There's still the overflow box with a few things in it (the CVGT1 in case I do have an Easel, if not an impulsive purchase I'll pass on to Paul).


No comments:

Post a Comment