Sunday 24 November 2019

Gig in a gin cellar

That's coming up on Sunday. I'm just going to do what I usually do these days in the standy-up studio but trimmed right back to OT/modular box/Minilogue xd. Was half-contemplating taking OP-1 too but probably overkill. Definitely overkill.
Got another offer to swap Pro2 for a JD-XA but now not so sure I want to part with Pro2. I've done some cool patches that I'd miss, especially the para ones. Might see how much cash he wants for JD as it might well suit me more than Hydrasynth, whenever that comes. The new Espresso or whatever it's called, seems to win the expressivity stakes, but at the expense of having the synth engine immediately accessible. Synth engine seems very powerful though. Update: I pre-ordered one. Yes, I know.

Where was I? Oh just bing-watching Mr Robot - kinda depressing and disorientating. Music's good though. I eventually gave up and bought series 1 of the Orville. It's a fairly humourless Family Guy meets Star Trek but I'm told it gets better.

Pat just rang having narrowly missed a big accident on M6 and then witnessed another soon after. Scary shit! I worry when she drives, especially at night, there are too many nutters out there. I had a close call the other day going to meet Gaz, when some twat in a pickup truck tried cutting in on me where there was no space to do so. I'll fret now until she texts to say she's there.

Sunday now. Gig went well. Not sure how long I played for but hopefully recording worked. Really enjoyed the gong part of the gig too, in fact both of the guys were excellent. Glad I made myself go out and do something, should do more. Girl wanted a CD but, of course, I hadn't taken any.




My thoughts were that I'd have preferred the SH-101 to the Minilogue - damn thing hung on me and had to have the plug pulled (power button didn't disturb it one iota). I must replace those fecking black knobs as everything just disappears in low light - idiots. Also missed my P3. Somehow doing prepared sequences on the Octatrack doesn't feel immediate enough for me compared to a P3 with its twin rows of proper knobs. Octatrack was good as a mixer and loop launcher though, even though I forgot half of what I wanted to do. Also the free-running tracks aren't as useful as I thought because I have to remember which pattern launches which sample - easier to just launch as usual then delete the trig once it's fired off.



No comments:

Post a Comment