Tuesday 19 November 2019

Loops, poops and unsightly droops

Yeah well, it's frosty today and we had overnight vomit to contend with. Not sure if we ate something or caught something, but Pat woke around 2am throwing up and, once awake, I felt pretty nauseous too. Mind you that could just have been my reaction to the spew noise. A good excuse not to go to the gym anyway.

What's been happening, you might ask?
Well, let's see. Sunday I went to Lancaster to see Erland Cooper. Attempted to go by train but that turned out to be foolish dream as trains don't always bother on Sundays, leaving me stood around for an hour in the cold before I gave up and drove. Saw Mick too, rather briefly, but good to catch up. Gig was brilliant - support band were two girls called Ava, one of whom joined Erland in his string quartet. With Minimoog, tape machines and loopers, it was a superbly mellow performance soothing my train anger considerably.

Oh, and before that was the Gaz Escapade, involving a small and leaky boat, two Octatracks, and industrial quantities of weed. Judging by the project I saved, it was pretty far out stuff that we recorded and filmed. I have no idea if Gaz will be able to make anything interesting out of it but I'm hopeful. Sounded mad but good at the time. Some good anecdotes and fun, even if I'd have preferred enough space to get my modular out and use it for samples and sequencing. As it was, we sampled a few sounds from Gaz's Stylophone (the new fancy one that spits like an angry cockroach) and grabbed random things from our own sound libraries.  Surprisingly it turns out I was better at the 'man task' of keeping the fire going. Twisted Firestarter or what?

This week I am preparing for the Deep Listening gig on Sunday, or in theory I am. It's pretty cold in the standy-up studio today. My plan is to play for approx 30 mins and do very little except sound FX on the modular, processing on the Octatrack, sequences via the Octa/QMI2/modular. Just taking my Makenoise case and the Octatrack, which will serve as mixer, processor and a source of random loops, noises, pads and whatever else I can think of. I have Friday/Saturday to do some new patterns cos Pat's away doing shopping with Dawn.

Still feel a bit icky. Might go back to bed.










No comments:

Post a Comment