Wednesday 30 December 2020

Not a regular Friday

 Which is a shame really as I have an idea for a piece I'd like to try out - a reworking of an old one which should fit in perfectly with the current 'teenage angst' album-in-progress.
A mountain of chocolate has arrived, along with various other items such as biscuits and sugary sachets of something or other. It's what happens at this time of year, even here in Humbugland. Hopefully I'll get some studio time tomorrow. Hitting the whisky early. And later, the whiskey. 

Listening to some animated thing reminded me of some of my old tunes - stuff I wrote as  a kid but never really did justice to.There was a melody quite similar to one of them on this film. I always thought they were too simple and naive, which they probably are. As I was learning organ at the time I used a lot of sevenths, which I now interpret as 'French'. 

It's Saturday. Started well - two successful poos from Jasper, the weekly drain check all clear; nothing to stop me getting into the studio this afternoon. It doesn't get much better than this. Oh, I'm getting more into Bruckner now I've adopted the multiple-listens-before-moving-on approach. For some reason I've assumed the odd-numbered symphonies are going to be the best. 

Sunday. I tried (too hard) to cobble a sequence together as it was needed to complete the thing. At least I convinced myself it was. I seem to have stumbled across a simple solution to the whole thing, which is to swap parts 2 & 3 around. Suddenly it feels more balanced. Not totally there - my notes have several corrections suggested - but much closer. Really does capture the Jeffrey Hill vibe too. 

Monday, the sequence one from yesterday has a great bassline. I did a recording of it in its current form and started another one with two unusual Ody sequences fighting each other. Sequencing and generally recording large chunks of Odyssey is proving to be a source of much goodness. Need a simple melodic part to go with that odd seq and it will be a short, neat piece a la Sorcerer. Walking tomorrow so will tackle again on Wednesday. NYE could be drinkies day, seems appropriate to my mind. Then it's Friday again. Some people might be thinking I'm finding my life boring and repetitive at the moment. Not so. It's closer to the experience of the late 70s and early 80s than any other time of my life - hence the constant musical inspiration. I may have mentioned this before. 

Hmmm, Wednesday and didn't manage to do much music. Pat's horse at dentist so she's downstairs and somehow I'm failing to write any music knowing she's listening to each idea as it emerges. Should probably have tried headphones as something was happening at first, or seemed to be. Poor thing is upset about new tears and restrictions and goodness knows what else she's absorbed. (I had been in blissful ignorance but not any more.) Only needed a simple, non-developing theme to go with the quirky sequence but it stalled then died. Oh well. I did a simple bass pulse which works well enough. Don't think I'll use the drum pattern, just the noise sequence. 

Today I trimmed the ivy (neighbour allowed me to fill his garden bin too) and made a bollocknaise. Anyway, here are some of yesterday's photos. A different selection from posted elsewhere, just because.









No comments:

Post a Comment