Friday 12 February 2021

More gear swaps

 Yeah, what started as swapping a few eurorack modules switched to a swap of my Pro 2 for a System 8 and DFAM. As of right now, awaiting Parcelforce completing my half of the transaction (and worrying about the packing the longer it is in transit). The System 8 has some oddities - not least that its base mode operates in key-synced mode for the arpeggiator (unheard of in Roland synths before to my knowledge). It also had a broken Plugout 3 - ostensibly the JX-3P but a factory reset revealed it was, in fact, the SH-101. I think he maybe tried adding it but it didn't work out but either way, all good. The Jupiter 8, Juno and 101 are pretty decent additions and the JP8 arpeggiator works properly out of all the arpeggiators. The sequencer is pretty sweet too and can record up to 64 steps with 4 parameters recorded too. DFAM may or may not be useful (suspect not) but it's sat where the Tanzbar sat and offering some different noises - and timing if I use Steppy to drive it. Useful module that. Eventually the DFAM will either get passed on or move into the euro drums case and remain switched off. 

Had a nice walk today and now am contemplating a bit of whisky. Ordered more of that sherry-casked stuff cos it's delicious. 




The album is done and uploaded. I missed Bandcamp Friday but should I wait another month? Novel artwork still no progress, have given him another couple of weeks because, well, nobody's waiting for that either. ;)
Some artwork progress - he's on the right track too, phew. Worth waiting a bit longer. When I was looking through the text I spotted a couple of errors immediately, plus a typo. Guess I could go through it all again if I can bring myself to.

I completed the Schulze book. Sense Klaus himself was not involved at all and that the good stuff spread around the book comes from the few anecdotes compiled at the back from friends. It's basically about the albums released but written from the point of view of a non-musician megafan. I did learn the identity of Clara Mondshine though. Oh well. It's approximately as illuminating as the Roedelius book but I guess neither were written by writers. Back to mushrooms.

Friday today. More playing with the System 8, which could easily become a major favorite synth. I've created some great noises so far - and even did some good stuff on the DFAM. The trick is in using the SQ-1 sequencer instead of its own. Wild, I know, but it's just far superior and can get much more from the synth engine. I added Stages to my little case as a flexible modulation source. We'l see how that works out but if it doesn't delight, I know the much simpler Doepfer VC-envelope will.

The one I recorded the other day (with the DRM1 groove) is really rather good. Next time I fire up Cirklon I'll do some kind of finished take of it. Using Cirklon as my drum brain and the DRM1 as voices is going to be brilliant. My recent swaps have really worked out. I should get rid of other things I'm not using much, like the Minilogue xd maybe. 




I should also say that one thing that put me off the Sys 8 was its lack of aftertouch. However, on balance I now know I really like the feel of its keybed. The keys are a bit smaller than usual but nice and rounded and nicely responsive to velocity. Reckon I'm going to enjoy it loads.  

No comments:

Post a Comment