Friday 30 December 2022

As the year winds to a close, we learn more and more about Osmose

Well, I learnt that it has 500 presets you can't overwrite (?) and that the left/right motion is primarily for pitch bend. Dunno why but I'd hoped you could do other things with it. I fear a glut of keyboard players doing terrible things to pitch for a while! The two pressure parameters seem interesting though but I'll wait and see how it all handles. Just 128 user sounds initially though, wtf? Hmm, it seems if I get a free version of Max I can run the Eagan Matrix editor and overwrite presets, so all may be well. Still predict the DX7 effect though in which most users won't program anything.  

Right, it's Saturday and Pat ain't back until Monday. Another curry tonight and probably tomorrow too as they say they're open. Have the odd experience of taking Margaret to my mum's in the morning instead of Pat. 

Judging by my photo of last night's curry, I was not as in charge of my faculties as I thought. 


Last night's naga has paid a tearful eventual farewell. Tonight I'm going easier with a pathia, my favourite dish. First, Synthi and Soma Pipe! I love how you set up the Synthi with lots of feedback loops, then a fraction of a degree movement of a single knob can slip you into another dimension. No other synth I've ever played with does that. Spared taking Marg anywhere as mum not feeling too bright. Gotta take her for blood test in the week. 

It's Tuesday now, looks like being a rainy week. Pat had long journey back and brought chocolate and whisky, so that's nice. It's been grand having the place all to myself though, best christmas ever. Saw a mouse in the kitchen - yes, that's as exciting as my life has become. Went to see the extent of the hedgerow damage before filling in my council future plan survey thing - bastards! I seem to have no plans for today so will maybe try the latest BB firmware on setup 3. Got an update for the Osmose but basically just an invoice. Strikes me how odd it is to wait for a keyboard-based synth when I'm such a shit keyboard player. Will I take to it? 

Been reading Tim's Wendy Carlos book. It's a bit of a slog. Like a lot of books with no involvement from anyone near to the subject, it's a sort of creative collage, a pasting together of existing writing and interviews, inevitably more focused on Wendy's troubled personal life than the more interesting technical side, presumably because the book's author had no idea about all that stuff. Never been a huge Carlos fan (Switched On Bach left me cold) but I did like some of her work, especially Clockwork Orange - would love to hear the more extensive versions of that - they apparently exist. As I type this I'm listening to Sonic Seasonings and thinking that there's a reason I don't play it very often. Seem to recall either Steve Schroyder sent me it or I sent it to him, I remember him being into it.

Pottered with my Cirklon setup today and achieved very little, maybe cos Pat is back home or just feeling creatively empty generally. I've considered giving Colin my Cirklon back a fair few times over the years, especially if he could find me another P3, but I hold onto it even though I barely use it any more. Maybe the Osmose will work well with it. The Ck setup would be better if it had an RC-505 included, possibly, but then Cirklon patterns wouldn't be necessary. I got nothing good out of the V-Synth and Minimoog too, which suggests the problem is me. Pissing down and not sure we'll get a walk this week.   

Wednesday, took mum for her blood test. Pat seemed grumpy that I hadn't gone shopping even though she had told me she was going (and I texted her to ask if she needed owt). Feels like I've done something wrong but not sure what. She'd left some water in the car for Broc and, presumably, forgot about it. Mum knocked it over so the passenger side is now soaking, so that's lovely. Dunno what I'm going to do this afternoon, not so easy to relax until I know the source of the atmos. 

My Osmose has shipped!



Right, it's Friday afternoon and I'm going to sign off. NYE tomorrow, a time good recordings sometimes get made. I did something reasonable yesterday, will see what today brings. Feel a bit sick after eating a box of liqueurs, hopefully Desperados will fix.  



No comments:

Post a Comment