Friday 25 August 2023

Weekend of semi-freedom, the musical dice game

 Pat and Margaret went to Edinburgh tattoo and I was mostly by myself, with the exception of two dogs. Actually they got used to me fairly well and I took Benji along for a decent morning walk. Actually by Saturday morning I felt he was up to a walk down by the river - and he made it just fine all the way. Had a horrible dry sushi from Sainsbury's, one of yesterday's and supplied wihout soy sauce as they replaced all the little packets with ginger. Won't be touching that again. As beer has gone up drastically, investigating Aldi's pale ale. Tim coming today for some noodles and I'm sure dogs will cope. Another curry this evening - yesterday's manchuri chicken was a bit less spicy than usual so I may have to resort to a naga tonight. Or jalfrezi or pathia or balti jalpuri. Mmmmm. 

Audion wanted to review Drone Wars, which was a surprise - didn't think they liked my stuff much (I guess I was too melodic/normal for their tastes once upon a time). Still wondering whether I processed too much of the life out of it and whether the raw recordings without overdubs were the best. The experience of going back to Logic/Wavelab reminded me why I decided to be computer free - will see how it sounds after leaving it a bit. Fairly happy with the cover anyway, the use of parts of a painting and a copy and paste job of a couple of drones. All for the bargain price of £2. 

Worked more on Epilogue II and now starting to spoil it and bloat it out. Will leave then sit and write again from scratch now I know everything I want to include. 



 The Chuckle Brother in action (from Thursday). 

Sunday afternoon I trimmed some of the bloat from EPII and it's starting to get where it should be. Was able to slip in lots of the ideas I have for the next book (if I write it) as well as set up the Big Ending, which I (and Stephen King) often fluff. 
Today (Monday) I'm listening to the Diabelli Variations and wondering if the world is ready for my Beer Belly Variations. Had a very pleasant walk with Pat and dogs at Cuerden, Benji pretty good at coming back today except when there were too many dogs to tempt him. Weather turning this afternoon it seems so it's studio for me, heh. 

Nice walk up Pen-y-ghent yesterday, think I was ready for it although it wasn't very high or difficult. Contacted guy about accident statement and made appointment to set it all down. Not sure if I'll get to speak in court but I hope to. Our photograpic evidence should help show what really happened, so glad Pat thought to take the pix. 

Refined my dice idea for generative music a bit. A lot of it is based on the Osmose and Cosmos combination but a further strand will come once I work out a good set of rules for the BB polymeters.
As before a 4-sided dice can determine which setup I use but after that I've added a 10-sided dice to determine the number of notes in my scale, from 4-8 (I considering a wider range but think that could be counter-intuitive for the kind of material I'm generating). Having decided how many notes I then roll a 12-sided dice to determine the actual notes, with 1 representing A, 2 representing Bb and so on. If there are duplicates then fine, no roll again, which I guess could mean I end up with 4xEb or something but if so so be it. Tried ordering some actual note-printed 12-sided dice but the only ones I could find were on Etsy in the States and the delivery cost was stupidly high. Will give it a run through this afternoon, using my 4-cell of BB routine recently developed. A means of determining recording length to be decided, probably once I get the 505 going again and there are 5 lengths there to consider also. Was reading about the Mozart musical puzzle thing which may well have been created as he was interested in musical toys, auto-playing organs and so on - he devised lots of musical phrases that could be assembled in different ways, although there's no guarantee he actually intended to assemble them using dice, as far as I can tell. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it goes - the P3 and Cirklon have user scales that could be edited to fit the selected notes, if I want to branch into sequencing. 









No comments:

Post a Comment