Saturday 27 December 2014

Turns out I peaked in the 80s.

Yes, no surprise I suppose. I haven't really listened to any of that old stuff, using the excuse of not having a cassette deck mainly, but a guy I must have communicated with at the time has kept a pretty good vault. Actually he has tapes I no longer have and has put in the effort of restoring them and sending me MP3s. Kinda humbling that anyone would do that with such care.

Amazingly there's stuff on there that's a zillion times better than the material that made my latest vinyl reissue. So far I've listened to Duncton Wood, Eternal Champion, The Path, There & Back Again and some of Sketches. The last of those was never released and he had a hand-written copy I must've done for him. Had forgotten some of the tracks even existed.

Here's the thing: the tracks I once liked now sound dated, cheesy, weak, poorly-played, embarrassing... but some of those I thought too plain now shine. Bloody weird experience.

The quality still isn't great and there are still fluffs and corny bits leaking into the good stuff, but I am coming round to the idea of getting the source material and saving the tracks that deserve it for bandcamp. Strange to hear myself from 30 years ago, little piano pieces, sequences, ambient or weird tracks. I don't have so many ideas these days. Remember writing The Path on a piece of paper as I sat waiting  in a car park for Pat, something I rarely do cos my notation is rubbish.

So I think the festivities are done. Actually we may have to have more as our Dawn been doing them down south and expects us to do them again when she's home. I have lots of work on though, finished my first review (out of the 6 I have stacked up) and I keep wanting to go back and play with the first thing, having sorta changed my position on it since day 1 with repeated playing... darn.

Invited to a NYE party but may not go as Pat will want to stay in . Good excuse for me then.

The Dr Who Xmas special was excellent, there I've said it.

Lots of the country has snow but not us. :(



Anyway, here's to a great 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment