Saturday 10 August 2019

Ah, the 80s

Yesterday I recorded in the Light Studio, today the Dark. Two new pieces in progress with limited setups from each room. It means I have something for when Pete comes later in the month.
Anyway.
Once again the matter of my 1980s cassettes has come up. Once again someone wants to re-release some of them. Once again I'm forced to deal with digging them out and listening, wincing, trying to decide if I want to bother or would rather leave things in fuzzy memory where they surely belong.
I don't know whether to be pleased that I reached a few people with what I did back when I knew nothing or sad that when I felt I did start to find my own path, it was one few traveled with me. Admittedly it's a path with lots of twists and turns, sometimes winding back on itself, other times heading carelessly into the wilderness singing and what-ho-ing.
I was looking over my bandcamp releases earlier, trying to work out if there's enough of a cross-section there that I needn't add to it ever again (I will, inevitably). I'm pleased to note that eventually, it seems, even the odder releases (the ones I liked perhaps because of their oddness) have done OK in the long run. Albums like 'and darkness falls' and Cyberdiver were deformed mutants designed to challenge lovers of sequences and melody. And Red Book, which has Carl's overdubs, should have done better but perhaps people have the CD. I know many of the synth people preferred Blue Book as it ticked more of the regular boxes. Can't argue with that as I knocked it up in a single weekend box-ticking exercise to enable Red Book to get out there.
Ah well.
It's Saturday and raining. I've had a few days of happy studio indulgence so should probably make contact with the world again, see what it's up to.
Oh, and I tried and failed to write up something about Carl's passing. I mean, I did it but it was poor stuff and not in any way what I wanted, except perhaps in pointing people to Carl's recent output. I dearly hope they won't just be interested in his old cassettes.


Advice I promise I will not be taking to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment