Thursday 28 March 2019

Integrating Minilogue into the Standy Up Studio

Repurposed one of my little iPad-style stands to hold the Minilogue xd and feels quite sturdy perched on my shelf above the Elektrons. Keeps everything to that simple setup too.
I've started on a 'Space Music' project - partially for myself but also for anything John might want me to do. For this I took out the Tanzbar and brought in the Blofeld. Downside is that I can't send a program change in specific patterns on the OT but have to make it a Part-wide thing. Useful restriction though, especially as I'm using just one sound on it, not doing multi mode thing. With space in mind, I brought in the DD-20 and initially put it on the mixer but will change so the Minilogue xd goes straight through it. Less complicated that way, plus I won't forget it and leave some loop going forever. Well, probably. :)
Think it's all rather nice and neat and effective. Still using Prophecy to bang in notes, because no sign of Virus but that's OK for now. I had to repurpose a stray MIDI merge, not for actual merge duties but for thru - because the fecking Blofeld and the fecking Minilogue both lack a thru. Did I once imagine the Octatrack's Thru could be reconfigured for a second out? Probably...

Anyhoo, this is how it looks/sounds

Oh, the Minilogue has, apart from its horrible linear envelopes, a selection of wonky, nasty, el-cheapo noises. VCO2 makes weird electrical background irritations and the digital oscillator does some very dirty and unpleasant things which are just about tamed if you pass it through the filter. The 'example' user oscillator is quite horrible - so I won't be buying any more from its creators. Korg's own oscillator isn't bad though in a lo-res, aliasing kinda way and some of its FM plinks are quite pleasing when you stick 'em up to their neck in that crazy reverb. I may remove the spring from the little joystick - just a shame you can't reassign the left right from pitch bend to something else. Anything else. I must explore the CV inputs as maybe I could use an external controller, such as one of my spare Pressure Points, assuming I fork out for a little box to put some choice modules in. Hey ho.

Yet again I've started Friday early. Cut the grass today, checked that the print of 1.03 looks good (it does) and chilled in the studio vaguely thinking about John's space thing. Did a Berlin track

Yessirrreeeee



The minimal setup is where it's at for me. Which doesn't bode well for the 2 reviews I still have to write....




No comments:

Post a Comment