Saturday 23 March 2019

It's out! Plus the Minilogue xd arrived.

The novel I mean.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1796506354/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3

I spotted a rogue comma reading it - one of those last minute tweaks that I always cock up. Later I spotted some layout errors, more superfluous commas and a floating speech mark.  ;)
I should send one to the Guardian, although I doubt they'd want to review it. Updated to 1.03 and resubmitted. The 1.02 versions will be so valuable, won't they? Think I finally got all the pages laid out properly, although I've thought that before.

Today I replaced the bulb in the tail light for a second time. Either the first bulb was duff or I did something wrong. I spent 5 mins being perplexed at the 'second, inaccessible' bulb until I realised it was a reflection.

In other news, the Minilogue xd arrived, on Friday afternoon. The Virus Polar was supposed to return too but still waiting for that.

Minilogue initially had a fault on oscillator 2 where a nasty noise occurred as it went beyond zero pulse width on square. On Saturday this was better, although both oscillators make a weird buzzy noise as the PW nears zero. May be able to live with that by simply avoiding it. Envelopes seem linear but this is for solos and pads not sequencing so, again, can probably live with it.
Some good FX, still learning each one. BPM Delay missing dotted values but hopefully they'll come. There's a mono and stereo delay but the mono isn't double the time of the stereo, which I'd expect.
General impressions - it has a sorta MS20 filter vibe to it, quite gnarly and sizzly. I don't much like the overdrive, especially as it clicks noticeably if you kick it in while playing. The switches generally feel cheap and untrustworthy but the knobs are nice. The digital oscillator is where the fun kicks in, lots of potential there. The supplied examples are all fine as far as they go, still need to explore every menu item with every type. Spent a while just making the kind of patches I want from it - organs, solo noodly things, pads and so on. Have barely touched sequencer. Arpeggiator latch is odd - seems to latch just last note. Hopefully will be updated. Haven't got far into factory sounds but have tweaked most of those I have played.
What else? Apart from the linear envelope, really missed ADSR for filter. They should have swapped them round, for my tastes anyway. Oscillator sync sounds horrible. Made me wonder if it was really a DCO. Must try an analogue mod source as it's rather short of them and there are holes waiting :)
I quite like the little joystick. Keyboard bearable, just. Sweet when played from the Prophecy though. I miss some of the voice mode buttons of the first Minilogue, they really pepped up sequences. Will explore sequencing soon. I did spot a quite nice acidy pattern in the factories, showing off that spitty filter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUOG5QlPEB/

It's small, which is what I wanted. Not sure it sounds as good as the Roland System 1 though but couldn't live with System 1 keyboard.



No comments:

Post a Comment