Sunday 5 July 2020

MSB & LSB - ongoing Elektron shifts and u-turns.

Sometimes the little things are enough. Of course we're talking yet another reassessment of how to work with my Elektron gear. With the new firmware for the Digitone (a 'fix' update of which was released just as I was about to complain about the one I just installed), I'm now able to do those lovely slidey legato basslines which sound very nice indeed. The mono LFO feature is useful too as is the overall probability setting. So happy am I with it that I'm considering having it as the master clock (if the word 'master' is still permitted - I think a decision is pending). The advantages are that the Digitone can remember tempo per pattern, which I've always wanted AND it can sequence the Minilogue xd without my needing to make manual notes of the program used. Yes, Elektron finally realised that bank select involves CC0 and CC32. Works well too.

I agreed with someone in Switzerland to swap his 0-Coast for my DPO. I only got the DPO as I hoped it would give me the sound of the 0-Coast in a racked format (it didn't and I never really warmed to it) so hopefully a good deal. Guy seems genuine and has had good comms.

Friday I did another recording of the 'Crypto' track but still didn't really nail it. If anything, made it more complicated but the dubby bass actually detracted. Might take the stems and arrange in Logic, we'll see. I was getting farther and farther away from the solo part I hit on initially too - that may now be lost due to my foolish and amateur way of working. 
Novel - I sorted out the first of my three significant scenes that remain. The next one (the trial) is running around in my mind and I already know how the final hunt will go, apart from one detail that eludes me but which should just magically happen as I write. Then there's a brief farewell chapter in the lab, an unlikely escape over the glass sea wall, then... a look towards returning to the mainland, battling through a zombie hell in order to do a favour for an ancient lizard. I already have some ideas for the name of the second half of the tale. ;)

Saturday Tim came and we recorded some very cool minimal short-form stuff - a series of tracks adding up to around 50 mins direct to stereo, like real men do. I held off from over-polluting, which is a good sign. A bit drunk again, it has to be said. 


Now there's a big hole...

No comments:

Post a Comment