Sunday 31 January 2021

The strange, silent house

 Without the clicking of pooch paws on laminate floors, without the wildly enthusiastic greeting when you come in, without the roar of unfettered delight when a tin of dog food is opened, without the constant companion who follows you from room to room, forever under the feet but always welcome, always loved. Without. 

I deliberately didn't take a 'last' photo, but here's a set from last October that seem to fit. 



Friday now. I buried him deep and under stones to prevent anything digging down. Had a walk with Tony this morning which was nice. It's still early enough to drink and hopefully ease the back pain I can feel. I might write some soppy, sentimental music (from which Tim would recoil in horror). Ultimately, I'm a soppy, sentimental kinda guy. 

It hasn't been easy. I keep checking when I open a door to see if he's lurking on the other side, curious to know where I am and get to me. I've seen him running through long grass in dreams, I've half seen him when I look up sometimes. My pal Tony's 15 year old lab came to the end too, so I guess we should go for a walk and be miserable together.  

Time has passed, I still haven't finished this blog entry, not sure why. In the meantime I've got Rick's first string part - cello and viola over the piano / wind thing I was close to abandoning. Did my first mix of it yesterday and it's good - wish I'd taken more time over the notes now as this was an afterthought really and sometimes sounds like it. I have ideas for a couple of harmonic touches on Minimoog that could give it some extra interest. We'll see. Oh, Martin's theremin and subtle guitar worked really well, did I tell you about that, dear diary? I expect so but my mind is mush. Maybe still needs some flute and manic guitar from Mark, although he says he no longer plays. 

Did a thing yesterday that sounds promising. That was before taking delivery of a Vermona DRM1, which I swapped for a couple of modules and which I've fancied since reviewing it. 





I think that will be the album cover - no text. Fits the idea, plus it's a photo I took on Jeffrey Hill and all the trees have since been cut down. Going with the faded/sepia look to squeeze out max nostalgia. Rick says he'll have the violin part on Monday - that's the one I spent a little longer on and the blend with synth strings should work nicely. 



No comments:

Post a Comment