Friday 14 October 2022

Synthfest, SP-404 mk2 & Great Gable

Synthfest was fabulous - sold out too despite travel issues. Snake Pass shut so my trip was a bit shit. Got the Roland book but didn't sort payment, will probably just ask for copies of books I don't have rather than cash as they edited my bits as to be almost unrecognisable. Spent some nice time chatting with lots of people I haven't seen properly for ages, went to a great gig (Quadros) in which my old Oberheim Two Voice got to play. Lovely idea of randomly pairing 4 musicians with a synth from a pool of 8 and great music, as always from Dean. Saw very little gear except the Eric drum machine, which I liked, and their mk2 Syntrx, which I was less impressed by. Completely failed to go see the 12-voice Polybrute with poly AT but did at least have a nice lunch with the SOS crew and may have agreed to a gig or two.

So, yeah, a busy time. Tuesday, Tim brought his SP-404 mk2 round and I almost immediately ordered one with my latest PRS. Then I started finding things about it I was less keen on (fortunately some are fixed in most recent firmware so hope Tim puts that on). I think it may still prove to be an interesting piece of kit - much more limited than an MPC and therefore more likely to slot into my system. Its workflow has some interesting pros and cons compare to other gear but as I write this it's Friday afternoon and I am hoping for a bonding sesh, once I make the BB video explaining its problems. 

Album finished, mastered and ready to go. Using some of the fab artwork Tim made and the theme of 'AI' is implied but never stated. Going with main title of Ambrosia Incarnate as it has a nice ring and the pic Tim has of girl looking away is perfect. 

Yesterday we did Green Gable followed by Great Gable - foot held up quite well but knees sore, really must start strapping up the left one too. Sad old git eh? This morning was dentist (he was happy with me, yay) and doctor - they reckon the appointment was for yesterday. I never miss appointments so can only conclude reception girl told me wrong day - apparently they only do minor surgery thing on thursdays. Oh well.

Next week we have the next round of planning battles - did I put any of that in here? We even made the local paper but, oddly, all the people who should object and stand up for themselves are inexplicably busy, but very happy for us to go in to bat for them. Sigh. I could write a rant about the state of the country and speculate about why people are so rubbish, but I won't. Pat and I (and Alec, old guy who lives nearby) will stand up and be counted. 

Anyway, here are some of the pix I didn't put on Facebook. 











Righty ho, stuff to get on with...

No comments:

Post a Comment