Tuesday 8 February 2022

Ah, insomnia

 No idea why it keeps coming back or why a New Order song runs round my head on a loop. No pain, no stress, none of the usual reasons for not sleeping, just having a spate of it that has lingered over a week now. Fucking annoying. 

Friday morning, slept last night (OK the pipe at 1 am helped) and I feel good today. Managed to talk to someone at Virgin and got a better deal, so have cancelled BT. If that doesn't get my productive juices flowing, I don't know what will!

Yesterday's walk was probably a mistake, my forecast proving all too accurate. The twats at the Ingleborough trail wanted £8 each to walk past their waterfalls so we told them to bugger off. Then we wandered on the claggy hills until it became apparent we were better off at home. 





Sober Saturday, deleted the thing I uploaded yesterday. Not that it's bad, particularly, just a bit random. I must have been quite stoned because I totally cocked up a recording done for Paul E, using his sequence part and overdubbing. Like an idiot I forgot to put the OT through its Cue output and therefore ended up with lots of Paul's stuff in every take I did on the RC-505. The mark 2 really can't come quite enough - so I don't have to use the OT to mix the things I want to capture. Shame as I don't think any of it's going to be salvageable. Using longer pieces of external audio like that is quite a chore for my little hardware setup and it occurred to me I'd be better putting it all on two channels of the Zoom first, then not worrying so much about the sync. Oh well. Might have another crack today, Paul probably thinks I'm an idiot. At least Pat and I both slept well last night, no pipe needed. Pat went a little early and was asleep by the time I'd watched Toast and finished the Bailey's. Feel so much better after sleeping, amazing really!

Monday and I spent a jolly afternoon pottering with the Soup and the Microfreak. I really must read the Microfreak manual as I was struggling with the sequencer, only to find it's possible to dump the contents of the arpeggiator into it, which is going to make things easier. I like the arpeggiator a lot but the sequencer always starts running, without me being able to record into it first. Maybe the manual has help there too... Hmmm, I guess if I put it into Mono and hold a key, the sequence will pause. I could then go into step record maybe, will try next time. I really wish those buttons along the front were visible - the dark brown text on fucking black background drives me crazy. 

Shame the Soup's sequencer is a so long-winded. Surely they must have seen an SH-101? For putting in ties and rests, there must be a better way than the current one. 


A drizzly Tuesday morning. Awaiting Roland's response as the RC was meant to be on the way on Jan 18th. Played with the Cosmos yesterday but it's a bit frustrating having to lock to its lengths and although some cool stuff does emerge, it's so much easier to get what I want from my existing loopers. Might try the rhythmic firmware again. Funnily enough, the loops I've been getting out of the Dual Looping Delay module are still the most interesting. Might be worth putting the Microfreak through that and seeing if it's a viable alternative to the SH-101 for gig - smaller for a start, but I remember the issues trying to see the Minilogue xd in the dark and then whizzing around my patches looking for inspiration. I suppose serious performers keep notes or something. Gonna make the gig a really simple dronefest, at least that's my 5 minute old plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment