Tuesday 1 February 2022

Birthday and a bit of time away.

 Decided we should do something for this one so it's a spa weekend in the Lakes. Should be a very pleasant change, hope we get decent weather but even if we don't, should find stuff to do. 

No word on RC-505 II yet but I sold a module the other day and Pete says he wants the MakeNoise case and a couple of modules, which should pay for it. Well, I guess writing the review will help in that respect too. Might see f I can get anyone to swap some of the modular stuff for a second small Roland case as I really like those. They hold enough modules for me to use without getting swamped with options.

Happy birthday Mozart. Today I didn't do a lot but I did solve a problem with the novel that had been bugging me. It sorts out quite a few whys, as well as setting the direction perfectly towards the end. Rather chuffed. I do wonder sometimes if my writing style puts off people from wondering about the whys but those are the puzzles that keep me interested throughout any book. I can't deny that sometimes things happen that I can't immediately explain. 

I should maybe summarise our weekend away. The hotel didn't really have a spa/swimming pool after all - its advert still gives no inkling this is the case (we've gone back and looked). The owner quickly got that out of the way in his intro, and I must admit after that it was all honey and roses. Not literally, thank goodness. Our room was great, the breakfasts legendary, the location pretty darn sweet - well, apart from that 45 min walk to the spa, that is We ate well - in descending order of quality. First night was Jackson's Bistro, truly excellent food and brilliant service. Then there was Base, a delicious pizza. Finally, it was raining really hard so we cut short our walk down the hill into Bowness, stopping at a pub with a friendly enough chap ushering us in. Lovely rich soup to start raised my hopes, followed by the driest, dullest chilli known to man. I wish I'd kept the soup to pour over it. Oh well. We managed to fit in some walking, pottering, shopping and general chilling, returning home to feel pretty good. If the beds had been soft I might even have slept.  

Tuesday now and I'm still going back through my Mahler symphonies, having failed to recognise one on a     quiz show the other day. I think I worked out my issue with these recordings too - the recording itself. The all have a ridiculous dynamic range, large chunks of almost-silence followed by riotous explosions of sound. It appears that I'm hearing an orchestra in a theater somewhere across town. Even my favourite, the first symphony, is a crap version compared to the old cassette I still have somewhere, should probably find out the orchestra and conductor. Oh well. 

I think my writing style might have been temporarily updated as I'm reading Peter Kaye's autobigraphy, or one of them. Nobody writes just one now, do they? Anyway, time to go up and make a few noises.

Cancelling Virgin and going with BT. Hope that's a wise move. It should let me have the BT phone wire connected to the front of the house where it's needed, which will be handy if I later move to another provider. Virgin got too greedy so they can bugger off.




Here we are, having a good time. I've trimmed that beard now. It was getting bigger than my face. Now back to my old chinless wonder look. 


No comments:

Post a Comment