Tuesday 12 February 2019

A bit of painting and drawing, plus Digitone arrived

Ideas progressing for cover. This was an idea until Tim pointed out several vital flaws :)


Digitone comes today (Tuesday). In preparation I had to think where it would go, what would control it. A useful exercise as I thought it most sensible to put it with the other Elektrons - which led me to choosing the Octatrack as the master now for clock and sequencing. I haven't gone the whole hog and decided it would be an audio processor too, but have at least let it be the MIDI sequencer for both the A4 and DT. It has the advantages of individual track speeds and p-lockable arpeggiator, so makes a lot of sense to have it as the main brain. It isn't a bad MIDI sequencer too now probability is included. Will have to set up the various CCs it can handle as these can be targets for the MIDI LFOs.

Well well, the Digitone is a fabulous little thing. I've dithered over getting one for quite some time and now I realised I should have just plunged in. The encoders are really much nicer than the old ones, the form factor better, the streamlined OS too. At last you can save mutes, name patterns and a whole bunch of other stuff I've wanted. And no more fucking kits, yay! Wish they would roll out some of this philosophy to older machines, such as the Analog Four.
Haven't done a lot yet in the hour I've had with it - just set up a project, auditioned a few sounds, made some patterns - which are empty but triggered from the Octatrack, all the pattern numbers synced up. I won't put any notes into the DT patterns but will put some parameter locks so that unmuting any track will have a similar effect to the old 'motion sequencer' of the Radias. I can set each track to its own length too so the parm tweaks will move around in interesting ways.
Tomorrow I'll dig in a bit deeper but for now I'm very happy indeed. Factory sounds seem good too. I've mainly concentrated on the obvious FM tinkly stuff for now since that was my main reason for getting it - the filter works well though and makes tweaking a doddle. My little Elektron Room is going to be a nice place to play around in now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment