Wednesday 25 September 2019

Rainy Sunday

After a glorious, sun-bathing day yesterday it's heavy rain today. So much for my plans to go shrooming. I spent some time Friday afternoon working out ways to do my sequencing from the OT but adding parameter locks from the DT - first problem I encountered was running out of lock memory. Seems the other machines can handle far fewer locks than the OT (which doesn't have a limit, as far as I can tell). So that was annoying. The next thing was an issue lining up the notes with the parameters. This I still have to investigate as it might be down to MIDI's serial nature but I suspect it's due to the fact I record my OT notes without quantisation and the p-locks I add are on the beat. Something for the afternoon since rain is forecast all day. There's also a new Minilogue xd oscillator which gives 12 notes (IIRC) in a paraphonic mode. Very cool, have to try that. That last 'chip tune' oscillator I installed is really great too - has a built-in arpeggiator which gives all manner of warbly noises you couldn't do before. I've had zero interest in other users in verifying the click issue and reporting to Korg. I really wonder what people do with synths, whether any of them have working ears or whether anyone ever learns their gear at all. Some idiot suggested trying portamento = 0 because he heard maybe that's a fix. I pointed out that was the dumb-arse suggestion for the original Minilogue and that it didn't work there either, none of which stops it going round the internet like a bad meme.

Wow, a block of rambling text eh? You can tell I'm in no hurry to go out!

My 'standing up' article is in the latest SOS.

There are also some issues with the DT in terms of encoder sensitivity that I need to sort. I remember spending a while getting some parameters to exactly zero, even using Func. Also the issue of pattern length and pattern changes arose when trying to sync notes and events on two different machines might just introduce unwanted wackiness but we'll see if maybe I was just too stoned to work out the best way of doing it.

Installed the 'extra' xd oscillator. It doesn't sound great though and it turns out the slot it occupied was used in a LOAD of patches. I think it was the demo oscillator dmsync which is actually easier to use than the full-fledged one (for which I really must print out that crib sheet).

At a loose end today. Expected a pal to visit, although he's a pal who is often going to visit then doesn't manage it. I think I need a project. Maybe one in which I finish a piece of music. Wild eh?

Today I listened to some Handel and thought it was out of tune. Later I read the notes and I'm correct - they're playing with A=415Hz and unequal temperament is mentioned too. The horns sounded particularly out but perhaps because they are authentic instruments for the period. Anyway, it's much different than the version I had years ago on cassette but once I got used to it, I like it. I might do something at 415, if my synths will tune to that. The analogues will of course but a lot of modern stuff doesn't let you deviate much, if at all.

Booked car in and tree man. I really must be bored if I'm doing this blog. Should get the final plot points sorted so I can start the new novel in earnest. Well, not earnest, that other thing.

It's Wednesday and I moved more modules around but it's still a real struggle to do anything worthwhile with Eurorack at the moment. I wonder if I'll ever get back into it? If I sold the lot, how much cool stuff could I get instead? Stuff I'd use. I should add it all up sometime. Actually that might be heartbreaking as never have I spent so much and got so little musical pleasure in return...










No comments:

Post a Comment