Thursday 15 October 2020

BlackBox, Reface CS, a small move-around

 Decided I was too reliant on the P3 and maybe getting set in my ways. So I moved it out for a while and put the Digitone in - as both sound module and MIDI sequencer. Keep forgetting its ability to sequence and, while it's no P3, it's different. 

My new little setup might kick out the Electribe in order to be more mellow and less groove-oriented. Adding grooves is always so easy and I tire of them. Just attempting to work a bit differently for a while. The Reface CS can be the controlling synth and be sequenced, along with the JX03 and possibly the 0-coast. Will keep the little modular case with Mageneto in it, plus the BlackBox for ambient captures. Oh and the GR-1. Heh it's not such a small setup after all I suppose. The 101 is still close by ready for its sequences to be captured too.

Some BB support guy got in touch and I've emailed some more details, plus I repeated the exercise and kept both before and after projects in case they want to repeat the exercise too. Experienced a big slow-down in saving yesterday which someone else had reported too. Fingers crossed this ain't gonna turn out to be a turkey...

A worthwhile afternoon passed by. Set up the Digitone to sequence four things (0-Coast, JX, GR-1 and CS) and even set up 8 CCs of the CS to be sequenced too, modulated by the LFO and conditionally trigged. Going to be very effective. When I get a good thing, I can grab a loop - gotta be in even bar numbers if it's to be a looping clip. Not so bad though and means I can get some fairly exotic stuff captured to sync up with Digitone. Probably would only use MIDI tracks to create audio loops then mute, to keep it simple. All rather splendid really - got some mad sequenced sounds from the CS by using the synced Digitone LFO to do stuff to parameters its LFO doesn't touch. 

Our walk this week was the Tolkien Trail around Hurst Green. Much shorter than the walk book suggested and very muddy. Got back really early and didn't quite know what to do with myself. Pat's horse appears to have a neurological problem, possibly caused by a blow to the head. Doesn't look good. What with Jasper's arse and Caspian's head, our old animals are starting to look rather shaky. Heartbreaking and somewhat depressing. 

Dear old Robson Green and his extreme fishing continue to pay me reliably. This quarter there's almost 60% of my PRS income from overseas. I should get a decent pair of binoculars since there's no music gear I can think of right now. 




A different selection to the ones on farcebook


Starting to think of the music I might make with my little minimal setup. Working with the Blackbox is turning me more towards playing long audio parts and reducing the role of the sequencer - gonna see what I can do with the Digitone for drifting chords and more natural playing, even if I record its audio into the BB. Maybe the Tolkien Trail inspired me after all but I'm definitely drifting towards the High Elf vibe.


No comments:

Post a Comment