Thursday 16 April 2015

Eurovision

If I'd had any, vision that is, I'd have kept my large eurorack system. However I'm being drawn back in. I got out of it for a variety of reasons and getting back is more to keep up with the growing trend (and keep any reviews relevant) than because I love weaving my fingers through rats' nests of wires to reach a tiny knob.

I think it was the Waldorf NW1 that first got me thinking about getting another small euro box. I really should have kept that add-on one that I sold too cheaply and full of some useful modules, including that SY02 (IIRC, the MS20 filter that was so much better than the Filtered Coffee rack version). As I still have the Digisound plus various other CV stuff, I won't need all the bog-standard modules I'd ordinarily start with. I'm more interested in exotic oscillators, effects, heck there were a couple in that Roland collection that piqued my interest, no spoilers in case I get one to review. I liked Paul's Braids oscillator too and some of those weird pattern generators. Oh dear.

Fortunately when Paul grew his system he didn't chuck his old box, which I'm going to grab off him next week, bless the lad. Also have my Minimoog to retrieve as Tony was finishing off my PWM mod today, to add to all the others. I opted for a switch to pick the source between VCO3 and the LFO rather than envelope modulation. Will post some pix here and a rough outline of all the mods, just in case it's of interest. Again, I write this stuff as a brain-dump for me rather than for explicit entertainment value for others, so apologies dear readers if it's dull.

As I'm in a confessional mood... I've been half-contemplating getting another Octatrack. Or did I say that already? I hesitate because I keep hoping for a better product from a less obtuse company but another Messe is here and there's no sign. Perhaps Rusty's OcataEd will make it manageable, but I still suspect I'll be happier with something else for those 'long track' backings for the few festivals I'll play from now until I get totally fed up and jack it in. Yeah, get a laptop you're saying. I know.



A random pic just to break up the dreary text. OK, it's not a cheery pic...

Headshock recording session tomorrow. Finished current review today, nothing else pressing so a weekend of music ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment