Thursday 23 April 2015

Minis in the sunshine

Today I uploaded the edits for the last 10 library tracks. Didn't boost in Ultramaximiser as something odd happening with the Wavelab render. They can do it if necessary, kept to a clean, clear mix. Need to find a new project, have some ideas but first reviews to complete. Sonic Weekend is coming!

Here's some photos of my Mini and the mods it has had done.




Yes, I snuck in a shot of Bob the bunny, as you would.

As to the mods, I should say I only had them done because the Mini had mods when I got it. Foolishly I failed to observe this and the mods weren't to a high standard either. I therefore took the decision to make the most of the situation and have the mods replaced by Tony's own, to my specifications.
So Tony replaced the botched LFO implementation with his own board and removed the pitch bend amount knob in favour of a dedicated filter FM control. I wanted oscillator sync too and when it's active the pitch wheel only controls VCO2's pitch. When sync is off pitch wheel is routed only to VCO3. There's a central dead zone but not detent now. It means I can, with one hand. control modulation speed and depth, assuming VCO3 is the mod source.
Another change is that the mod mixer now mixes between VCO3 and the LFO or VCO3 and noise. Those switches are nice.
Speaking of switches, there's one more new assignment, which is PWM source (for VCO1 and VCO2). If I select square wave on either of the first two oscs, the PWM amount knob brings in a rather sweet modulation. Lots of versatility and I think worth doing. Tony found an original Moog knob for the PWM amount and it looks great. He blocked off the jacks but I do have an original Moog pedal somewhere, old size, and may dig it out for Glide on/off. Of course one day there might be the aftertouch keyboard with legato-glide switching, you never know. Similar, might make use of the extra VCA already present as a kind of AM, ring-mod-like effect. We'll see how it goes.

It sounds utterly awesome. Some examples to follow I expect.




No comments:

Post a Comment