Friday 3 April 2015

The Laziness Rant

Yeah, I know, a bit rich coming from me...

It struck me recently (OK, today) that what we old codgers have long interpreted as 'dumbing down' isn't quite so straight forward as it seems. People aren't actually more stupid after all, but I do think they're lazier. Furthermore, I think that social media, forums et al are fuelling the laziness. How often have you seen a really basic question posed on a forum that's really badly phrased, containing only a fraction of information or almost no evidence of attempts at diagnosis? Now I know we don't all share a common language and some people have very little experience, but (and here we descend to sobbing nostalgia) in olden times you very likely had to solve those technical problems yourself. And it took a while so you remembered what you tried along the way. If you were really lucky you could call on an experienced pal who could come round and tell you how a compressor worked or why your MIDI module is ignoring notes from your master keyboard. Imagine those days of prehistory when you had to write a letter to a manufacturer, or ring a tech support guy and talk through your issues?

Now what seems to happen is the moment anyone has any kind of issue, they ask the world for help. Total strangers, many with even less experience, many very happy to advise at length regardless. If the answer fits, the knowledge is applied and the asker moves on to the next hurdle. Nobody learns much because nobody needs to. If you don't remember where you found the answer next time the problem arises, ask again. Of course, lots of misinformation will be spread. So wrongness will fill those server farms alongside the good advice, but hey, it's only data, who cares about its quality?

Aaaaah.

I'm starting to feel better now. That must mean I have, amongst my own wrongness, made my point.

I'm committing the same kind of crime in a way because I could make this text more concise, could explain myself better. I could add more examples, diagrams, humour. It'd probably take me a while though and I have a new delay I want to try out in the studio. If it doesn't work as I expect, I won't be asking any questions online. At least not right away. You see, being old I've gone through a load of head-scratching - it's amazing I still have plenty of hair! But the scratching has helped me pick up a few skills (even if I still don't know how a compressor works). BTW one of the most important rules I ever made up was this: Make up your own rules. Don't feel obliged to stick to them.

With this much hypocrisy I really could have a life in politics.

Yesterday I began the awful task of picking through my last novel and simplifying the plot. I think I'd like to do the same thing for my life, but I realise there's far less scope. After all, if your life involves sitting in a chair and either typing or playing a keyboard, there isn't much left to trim...

Happy Easter y'all. Our rabbit Bob got himself wet deliberately this morning so we'd give him a blow-dry. See, I can even do topical. Here he is blissed-out while Pat lets him have it.




No comments:

Post a Comment