Sunday 9 May 2021

Gas Giant progress - almost there!

 For the first time today I laid out my tracks in Wavelab against the (working) titles and a timeline. Not everything I've done succeeds and there are gaps I need to fill specifically. I seem to be rather short of ambient, sequence-free pieces, which is a surprise given the number I made when I only had one Blackbox. Have made notes of things that need doing, which I'll begin tackling this week, Friday probably as I said I'd walk into town with Pat when she gets her jab. Tomorrow we're heading up to the Lakes for a stroll. 

I'm reluctant to export the chunks to Logic for fixing, arranging, overdubs etc. Feels like a backward step so I'm going to try more discipline in the pieces still needed. I know, I know.

I worked on one of the tracks again today, replaced and simplified some of the phrasing. For some reason it took ages to get it right - possibly due to indecision about what to play as none of this stuff is Rachmaninov. Odyssey doing some very cool spacey noises, JD adding drones and XD a fizzy filter sweep. I did wish, quite a few times, to have played it into Logic where I could have analysed and fixed much quicker. 

Pat had her second jab, yay. Different symptoms this time but after a day she's OK again. 

Yesterday (Friday) I ended up recording three sections of 'expulsion', the first of which was a weird minimal techno thing involving VCO1 of the Odyssey which was tuned to as close to the tempo as possible then recorded three times, each with a different reverb. Looped, these produce the strangest effect - as each oscillator gradually drifts over the course of the loop then gets reset when the loop starts again. By starting each at different points, some remarkable phasing effects are heard. I suspect this is something I'll be returning to. The other two parts were more ambient, as planned. 

It's pissing down today. And we have mice again. Thought I heard something the other night. It's the sloppily-filed store of bird seed that brings them, I suspect. 










Yeah, well, I must have been inspired by Tim's godly self-portrait from the other day. Sat down to take a photo of the floor, as you do, and hit a button on my phone flipping the cameras. From then I became fascinated with the sunlight effect. Needless to say, this was after my first bag of smoke but before I recorded anything...

Sent Matt a V1 of the Gas Giant material, as one long mp3. Big relief is that he likes it - would be happy as is. I'll let it stew a while, listen in a few different ways as I compile notes. I'm aware of a few things I'd like to improve, either by short trims or overdubs or suchlike. I think it fills the brief reasonably well. 

Sequencer guy is coming on the 17th. He last visited here when I reviewed the Notron, so goodness knows how long ago that was. Yesterday Tim and I recorded some groovy things - big part of the success was the layered DFAM patterns that Tim was coaxing out and grabbing in the BB. I should listen again this morning but I'm running a bit late and need to get a shower before visiting my mum. Looks like our Janet's bar is a roaring success, will buy her a bottle of something on my way over. 



No comments:

Post a Comment