Monday 2 May 2022

RIP Klaus Schulze

 We did Illgill Head this week - a very long walk over drab, empty countryside. On the drive back, I was ill - and Tony had to drive while I vomited in the passenger seat (into a bag with a hole). Think it was a bug I picked up from Pat which picked a weird time to leap out at me - fortunately at the end of the walk rather than in the middle. Throughout the journey we played the music of Klaus Schulze, which Tony thought was mine, or at least he says he's definitely heard me noodle in a similar fashion. I still don't think I can properly sum up the essence of Schulze since he produced so much output, so much of it varied but, to me at least, always with that special thread of Schulzian uniqueness. His was simple music in most senses yet when he was really on form, perfect, deep, satisfying and very personal and intimate. Of all those who have influenced me, I think it was the individualism, the singular human character and the dogged pursuit of his own path that counts the most. Long form, radio-unfriendly, often unchanging and relentless, Klaus made these qualities into a kind of alchemy - it worked for him but so often defied analysis. That might be why I've struggled to pile in with any kind of meaningful tribute - the answer is in the music but never on the written page. 

Anyway, yesterday Pete came and picked up his modular case. I had forgotten removing the handle, or rather forgotten where I'd put it. I know it was hanging around for ages and I thought I put it near the case but the damn thing was elusive yesterday. Tony (the other one) has fixed/modified most of my gear so I'll go up next week and get it - particularly looking forward to getting the Synthi back with its new knobs and range switch for VCO2 (it will go even slower than VCO3 now if required). Awaiting new knobs for the DFAM as Thonk sent wrong ones - the idiot who fitted the previous lot destroyed all the shafts meaning I had to get the lot replaced. Ouch! Only the MS20 and Wasp Deluxe await work, which is fine by me - the MS20 mods might be better than Korg's as Tony is going to think about what I want and do it his way. Oh, and I had some ideas for Tony's (yet another one) tribute album and recorded some sketchy sequences on the Jupiter, Supiter, Model D and Freak. Some Schulze influences definitely leaking through - just need to get into the right frame of mind for a very long noodle over the top. And some Synthi wibbles, I mean why not?

Saturday today, hopefully a Headshock sesh but we might sit in the sun and drink beer, also good. ;)









Tim and I did a thing yesterday (Corrandula) which snaked around the BB from the bottom left corner, each of us contributing in turn, only listening to the previously-recorded cell. I then did a 20-odd min mix, Tim a more reserved half as long. It's possible that, as always, we still have that elusive third perfect mix to make - something that's been occupying my thoughts of late. I *think* that some kind of arrange window organisation is what's required for all these BB recordings - a means of laying them out in a definitive version kinda thing. Yes, I know what you're saying, a fecking DAW like Logic does this. And it may be that the obvious answer is, indeed, the answer. 

Today (Sunday) I really should work on that ANT song Don sent. Will see how I feel when I get home from mum's - also want to work on novel which I haven't touched in a week. I wonder how many times in blogs I write about things I should do? Should also look for that MN case handle.  

In the end I did a bit more on Tony's tribute and did a mix to listen to. It's getting longer but I'm no longer sure the opening sequence should be the opening but could close it, if I can add some suitable melodic stuff to complete it. We'll see. Bank Holiday today so I hope for another day of the same. Tony posted a pic of the updated DFAM - he even cleaned off the superglue I foolishly got everywhere trying to hold those broken shafts together. Given the duff stuff I've swapped (that broken MI module, JD-XA mod wheel and now the DFAM), remind me only to swap stuff very selectively in future, with people I know well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment