Sunday 5 June 2022

June, time to change my tune?

 Here's a thing: I just discovered a recording of the Leeds Brudenell gig where I, perhaps naively, tried to combine JIC and Binar. It's sounding pretty good so far and could, with a bit of boosting, be worthy of release, assuming Andy doesn't mind. Weird given I was just talking about all this stuff in that interview. Also found a CDR of a JIC gig from Bradford, I think we were upstairs in the new chill space but I'm not sure. It's pretty good though, definitely on good form that night, whenever it was. 

Great walk up Red Pike yesterday. Knees and ankles on fire so that's good, eh?

Dave Smith has died, which was unexpected. He always seemed so healthy and full of  life, a true gentleman and a delight to talk to whenever I had any of his gear to review. He always listened and considered new ideas and even implemented a few of mine  (e.g. on the Evolver). Think I first met him at one of the MusikMesses and had the occasional chat afterwards at Superbooths. My first synth of his was the awesome Pro One, which finally gave me that powerful American sound I'd been missing from my weedy Korgs and Yamahas. And MIDI was a remarkable achievement in 1983 - and remains vital to me today. RIP sir!










I think they're basically the best of those that I didn't post on farcebook or twatter. 

Pat away now for a few days, hope she not stuck in traffic. I expect it will be beer and curry and such nonsense. Got Broc to look after, of course, so perhaps not a sit-down curry after all. 

Thursday Tim and I did sqoogle, which sounded remarkable at the time, featuring the dual monkey approach to mellotron playing and reel selection. Broc behaving nicely, good day. Pat safely there. Had curry, watching random shite on TV. Had something else to write but forgot it. Was drunk and went to bed reasonably early. Sqoogle should get another, more coherent mix I think. Today (Friday) I'm gonna work on that track of Don's and see if the Binar/JIC gig is actually worth putting out. Only other plans could be Synthi and more curry.

Put gig out here think it OK, just boosted levels so I could hear everything better. Gave up trying to get my audio out of the phone, no idea why my dropbox reverted to the old link/identity but sod it. 

Have spent a while ironing out kinks in novel, time well spent I think as it is starting to have an actual shape that is far better than before. Sunday now and I'm tossing up between painting, writing, music and slobbing...


Headshock really are splendid gentlemen, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment