Wednesday 17 September 2014

New/small/convenient vs 'better'

You know, much as I like the Analog Four, I'm starting to wonder if I'll spend and ultimately waste many, many hours preparing stuff on it that never gets used. (Recently I decided to avoid getting my OT back when I noticed the prospect filled me with dread.)
Already I'm hitting the limitations of A4 synthesis and effects - but more even than that, the sequencer would have driven me mad by now if I weren't populating it with patterns created in Cirklon. The very static nature of A4 patterns isn't helped much (for me) by parameter locks as the more I use them, the less easily I can interact with the pattern later. Worse, I can't change pattern length or paste data reliably during playback without getting out of sync and the only way to make patterns more interesting is to trigger events in the synth engine that add variation. Four tracks all going in the same direction and at the same speed are not the height of sequencer sophistication!

Compare this with the older, simpler (but bulkier) combination of Korg Radias synth and P3 or Cirklon. The Radias has a lot of deep synthesis, versatile filter combinations, fab effects unique per part, a built-in step sequencer and a mod sequencer...
I finally snuck it back into the studio (see below), but probably still needs adjustment and I may nick that keyboard stand Tim's using (with the rack spaces at the back). Oddly enough I think the Radias sounds as good for its analogue sounds as the A4, which is probably enough to get me thrown out of (analogue) heaven. Ah well.



NB my A4 performance configs are now arranged per track with two effects controls separate. That way I can easily see what I'm doing and I know what to do to get the pattern back to its original sound. Toggling between this performance screen and the mixer is fast and enough live tweaking given all the prepared patterns in each bank. I'm also making it so that each bank follows in key from the last so a project is a complete thing in itself.
With two knos I can turn a sequence sound into percussion, a bass into a kick, whatever. Basically this is the 'prepared spontaneity' required for all Elektron machines. Still doesn't come naturally to me but we'll see how it progresses with more time... still excited I can hold so many projects in it, not giving up yet. :)



Lastly, got some brilliant samples yesterday from the Juno6 processed by various things, usually the Oto Biscuit and Eventide Pitch Factor in unholy combination. I'm doing things with samples using the little Microsampler sequencer that I never did with the OT. A much underrated piece of gear.

Today the sun is shining again. I could be doing more money-generating work but I'm enjoying myself instead. :)

Here's a picture of my (untidy) study for no reason at all:







No comments:

Post a Comment