Thursday 16 May 2019

Bank Holiday Pootles / Superbooth Reflections

I tried watercolour for the first time today - instantly gained a new appreciation of it! After my attempt, in which I made numerous discoveries, I watched a short Youtube thing and discovered some answers - about how to mix primarily. Turns out my tried and tested technique of roughly sketching that works so well with oils and moderately well with acrylics is a bit of a curse for watercolours. I discovered that you probably shouldn't start the sky until you're ready to paint it all as it changed within 5 mins and drastically within 10. My sky was terrible, even worse than my foreground bush that fails completely to be in the foreground.
Even though it was a botched effort, I quite enjoyed doing it and the next one should be better. When I look at Tim's paintings though, I realise how far I have to go. I must learn to mix colours properly!

Today (Wednesday) I mostly spent looking at birds in the garden. We have baby sparrows, blackbirds and starlings - in large numbers. Watching them bounce around, feeding, jostling, arguing, taking dust baths and generally demanding attention was an afternoon delight. Also keeping an eye out for cats. Saw a sparrowhawk fly by scouting the area.

The pre-Superbooth hype has begun. Nice to see Elektron finally added portamento to the Digitone - too late for me to try as I only read the message after powering off the studio for the day. No hurry though. Hope they addressed the clicking and incorrect envelope pickup with same notes.

Superbooth

OK, so this isn't going to be much of a report. I did play with quite a few things and some I even liked. Mostly what I took away was the need to get away from being swamped by Eurorack. Therefore I've ordered a small, portable case in which I am going to put a selection of modules and place them in the Light Studio. This may sound strange (and I might later regret it) but it's the only way I'm going to do anything useful or creative. Reduction works, for me.

As for my thoughts, well, I thought Behringer had buggered their SH-101. A year after I first played it and the LFO doesn't work correctly (this one was restarting for every note!). I didn't play anything else on that stand, couldn't get near the Odyssey to see if its sliders felt better than my Korg.

I liked the Empress Zoia modular effects pedal, really liked the Jupiter 1 synth (despite the foolish decision they made to take the envelopes from the Jupiter 4), quite liked the blue thing with the stupid protruding keyboard.. what else?  I actually liked the sound of the Moog One, but the interface didn't appeal. The Matriarch sounded fab, annoyingly. There was a very cute, flat, grey SH-101 clone for silly money.

Anyway, had a good few nights out with Colin and co. Ate a few good meals - thai, vietnamese especially, plus an expensive curry made with reconstituted chicken. It wasn't hot but I did have a very strange gut episode the following morning that took 4 shits to clear. You needed to know that, right? The new Sequentix HQ is awesome - a massive space ideal for partying as well as, presumably, working. Made the mistake of going to a club wearing a Sequentix t-shirt and got accosted by some twat who claimed he had been waiting for a Cirklon for four years. Popped half a pill and was glad as Ross, who did a full one, looked quite spaced out when we crawled off to our hotels. Took some acid that didn't work, except very, very faintly.

Got my Pipe back plus an Ether to mess with. Resisted getting any Euro to review, although Dan's amazing distortion was there. Some fab Instruo modules too, really tempting but don't want to pile any more on the 'not doing' pile. Maybe the new case and reduced options will help my focus but I saw lots of Euro performances that were fumbling and amateur and which people seemed to love. Weird how it came around from perfect laptop performances to these raw, live things. I think it's healthy actually, almost like people are starting with electronic music all over. I guess the new case would allow me to take part, should the urge arise.

I missed most of the music and was so exhausted that my sightseeing really fizzled out, especially as my first port of call (Dali museum) was closed. Some pix












No comments:

Post a Comment