Saturday 25 May 2019

Sun, sun, sun!

Funny old day so far. I got accused of being homophobic by joking you could lure Nigel Evans (our MP) to support a cause using a trail of rent boys. Next thing, Nigel himself pops up in the conversation, proving my point and perhaps dismaying his 'outraged' pals. I tried to explain a few basics of cognitive bias but it was a tough Tory crowd. Still easier than the US gun nutters though. One of them did wish I were not alive amongst them though so I made my excuses and left.

It does remind you how people leap in with offence even before they fully understand what they're offended about. It's almost a race to the bottom. Hey, glad I didn't put it that way. :)

Pat is off for a few days and the sun is shining. Doubt there will be much studio time but you never know. Worked in garden and might do more of that. Ah, David talked me into a couple more reviews. Well, I mentioned them so I guess it's my fault too.

Did this https://soundcloud.com/smokyfrog/hoozle-mp3

Watched T2. Not bad actually, considering.

Everyone was angry almost all the time. They rushed to judgement based on almost no data, aided by a generous dollop of cognitive bias. Nobody asked for clarification, nobody really wanted a debate; they just wanted to be irrevocably outraged, often on someone else's behalf, or for some cause, or business reason.

Those who recognised what was going on tried, at first, to lighten the mood, to reason, to probe and ask a few exploratory questions. Inevitably, this led to even more outrage, led to calls for a closure of public forums, or removal of undesirables, experts and traitors from society. Altogether, and by any means. By that time, the few remaining moderate officials, pundits and Tweeters who hadn't been removed, vanished from sight.
The Divide was in full swing by then.

I've been working on a zombie novel for a while now and that is part of its intro. I've a horrible feeling that real life is way, way ahead. Kittens, anyone? Had a weird online exchange with Tory arch-twat, our MP.

Tony Sawford sent me a copy of my Mushroom Disco which I'd totally forgotten about. It has some good stuff in it, including guitar from, I think, Andy Boland. I'm 25 mins in and wondering how I forgot this one, much better than a lot of stuff I did release. Heh. Hope it features that track with the Jeff Bridges samples, been wondering where that went for a while. Used the Monowave for the bassline IIRC.

I released 'into the light' on bandcamp to quite a good reception. Knocked up the cover, which inspired the title, as it was uploading.
Went to see the Rutles - they were really good.


(Just before the Continental.)

Did I do the link? https://paulnagle.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-light
Now this, I know, I know https://soundcloud.com/smokyfrog/modfx1-mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment