Saturday 10 June 2017

Special K

OK boys and girls, now you know I don't usually talk about psychedelic experiences but sometimes it's nice to note down feelings and vibes before going off and reading up about what is 'supposed' to happen. So anyway, my last night by myself and I decided to test out the old horse tranq for the first time. Having little idea what to expect I took the prescribed dose and made sure I had the right USB stick plugged into the hifi.

I decided I'd listen to the stuff we'd recorded this week - working title Uvulitis. I can't remember if that falls into the 'real random word' or 'made up random word' category. I had already filed it under 'not our best' although the last two tracks, the ones we recorded Friday afternoon, seemed the cream of the crop.

Anyway.
The effect was not long in creeping in and I found my usual listening chair, sat back and...
1) My body disappeared. I had that euphoric swelling experience (no, not that kind of swelling!) that I usually associate with MDMA or coke but in a very different context. I was vaguely aware I'd closed my eyes, or if they were open they weren't letting much in. As time passed I was aware of the occasional tear and every now and again, I realised I was breathing. Indeed the act of breathing was something I concentrated on for a while, enjoying it, stretching it out, wondering how it related to the passage of time.
2) The visuals were rather different to acid or shrooms. Where acid tends to be geometric, sharp resolution and solid in form, and mushrooms are more organic, fractal, natural-feeling, this put me into a kind of fuzzy, pastelly mush that shifted according to whatever the music was doing. Listening back to the music today it's quite odd and minimal in places but it seemed to suit the experience perfectly. Uvulitis is about an hour long and when it finished, the player moved on to one of the Exoplanets tracks - Lipershey - which also worked effectively. After that I sought out Rory Dow's excellent InSpiral and that was the one that I re-entered reality with.
3) Summing up the experience is not easy. Possibly for the first time I experienced something I'd only theorised in novels - the 'space tadpole' mode of stripped down existence. Viewing the shifting, barely-focused lights and patterns, I had a real sense of floating through or of interacting with some usually unseen substance. It could have been liquid or gas or something else entirely. It was fascinating and for most of it, I was not really aware of myself, the time, the outside world, anything.
I admit I threw myself in. You know how, with some psychedelic experiences, a point comes at which you can cling on to yourself or plunge in and see what's out there, well I felt like a plunge. In for a penny and all that.
4) I don't think I needed any more. The dose was picked to avoid the sweaty, catatonic state I've seen in others and not been drawn to. Mind you I couldn't really have functioned in any meaningful way for maybe an hour and a half. Once it began to clear, I experienced some nausea. Walking was not easy either but I wandered into the front room and watched an episode of Continuum. After that I didn't find anything worth watching so crawled to bed. Still felt a little nauseous but slept it off. Feel OK this morning.

It's not something to do too often. I will go read up on Vaults of Erowid etc. and see how typical the experience was.

Remember - do not try this at home now, y'hear!

In other news, the old V-Synth 'broken scream' has returned. Another main board replacement, hope they are still available! Seem to recall I replaced it myself last time. Only happens in certain patches but... :(

Pat home later. Have missed her lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment