Friday 23 July 2010

Not so funky Fantom

The Fantom XR arrived today. Oh dear, Roland what are you thinking? The display is awful, the editor not massively better mad USB implementation - Clavia and Korg can do this but Roland have no idea, it seems. Very long-winded and you have to perform writes on the unit itself BUT my multisample after power off was NOT the same, no idea how; well I do but I'll try and use it 'simpler' tomorrow; sample before I multisample; create a rhythm set and see if that's easier and avoids all that stupid base key thing and that tiny triangle.
BUT(2) a happy accident. The other multisample, my very first one I'd forgotten about, that one has loads of wrong transpositions that are really good. All the SH-101 stuff at its extremes makes a hell of a cool "kit". So I am optimistic in the long term. Could only get 256Mb DIMM but that'll be plenty. The Nord Wave only had 180Mb and I ain't filling this with mellotrons! Gonna be Synthi though.

Cat arrived today, cute thing. Just grabbed it as it climbed my ladder.

Cirklon OS took decent step forward today.

Got two extra sound sets for Chameleon - very kind of those guys, brief test sounded excellent too. And I can set the low keys to select new snapshots (shoulda read the manual) which is wicked.

So all is well. Didn't get round to going to Paul's.
Pat has a cold poor thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment