Tuesday 23 August 2016

Binar Gig

Well, it came and went. New venue - better than the school hall but very hot and sweaty. A good night though, enjoyed everyone's set, especially Monkey Trial.
I think that might be my last gig, of that type anyway.
The idea of a 90 min set wasn't mine and the last minute idea to make it 2x45 didn't suit me as I totally forgot which songs I'd played already when it came to the second half. Alas I totally failed to stick to my running order which was a mistake. I may even have forgotten to play the best one, at least the catchy one I'd given the highest rating to in my listening the day before. Still, despite playing way too long I think there were some great moments - as usual those that were completely random. Looking forward to hearing the recording.

The Keyboard/Rack swap didn't go well. I failed to look at the rack I was getting, which is a mess - slider snapped off, main encoder not working, actual rust on the front panel and 3 knobs missing. So will reverse that when I get chance. Possibility we'll hire a rehearsal room somewhere and record more material for future releases. Might do that but, as I say, don't really want to go to the effort of more gigs in this style. It's either ambient drones or complete, planned structures from now on. I've done this weird improvised middle ground for too long, feel it's time for a change, especially as I doubt we'll ever top the best of previous work.

Back to modular tinkering today. Got a really cool module to review, another on the way that looks interesting. Still no case from Mr L after 1 year so maybe Synthfest will be the next chance. Else I'll buy a second Doepfer basic case and dump that large Synthracks thing which they still haven't sent a power supply for. Sigh. Bet they never send a power supply for my Doepfer ribbon either. Grumble, moan...


No comments:

Post a Comment