Friday 26 April 2019

April showers

We had some this evening, and lightning and shit. We're heading into May, I notice, and at this stage in the year I want to try and hold onto something or it all shoots by out of my control.

Pat went off to a horse thing tonight and I, not realising I had hours to mess, watched zombie shit on Netflix. This afternoon I had a few hours playing though. A few other users have replicated my 'xd' click so hoping that Korg did too and are on it, rather than ignoring me. A bit annoying that they consider bug reports to be a nuisance rather than a way to improve their fledgling software.








I'm happy with the garden at the moment, lots of things showing their colour. Others might find it untidy.

Not the Virus I was hoping for
Had an interesting challenge trying to delete a WAV file that came from Andy Mason, the guy who has my Virus. Amusingly, or not, the wav was impossible to delete from a USB stick. It came from a dodgy website (my virus guard warned me but didn't find any problem with the wav itself) but Andy assured me it was OK. I tried everything - command line force deletes, format of the USB drive the thing was on (I managed to delete from hard disk, after a bit of faffing). I even tried killing the file on the Mac but it kept ejecting the USB drive, so in desperation, I dug out an old Windows XP laptop. As soon as I plugged in the USB I got a message that it couldn't edit the registry (!). Anyway, from there I killed the file from the command prompt. Haven't formatted the USB drive but suppose I should.
Moral of the tale: don't accept files from DJs, they're bound to be riddled!

Got no music done, thinking of going back to Dark Studio tomorrow as I fancy doing something ambient and long-form, so those quantized, 4-bar Octatrack patterns are going to be a bit of a barrier, even with the 1/8th speed and Arranger. Might bring the Minilogue xd through as I'm still learning to do things on it (may try Mac version of librarian, if it works on my old OS, as I want to drag in a new version of an oscillator I bought - the PC version drag and drop is shit, at least at my screen resolution).

It's gone all dark and gloomy now. So much for Thursday.

Friday. Virus Polar meant to be back today. Will let him have my old Novation Remote 25 as compensation since I only ever used that as a controller for the Repeater.
Contemplating a t-shirt for Berlin, along the lines of 'rtz sucks' with an envelope image on it.

Just had a great idea for a synth performance feature : keyboard probability. You could do complete MIDI keyboard maps, like a kind of weird FTS, giving each note a probability of playing when hit. Thought of this cos my old Virus Polar just returned with a key not always working. Annoyingly, I decided I like it when keys don't always work, or play every other time or something. Helps dilute my 'too many notes' playing style, Mozart 🙂

Darn. Got stoned. Broke iRig thing (dropped from that stupid cheap stand that I should have got replacement for weeks ago instead of ordering yesterday, or whenever it was. Recorded something subtle, for me.
https://soundcloud.com/smokyfrog/effervesce

At, like, 63BPM or something. Heh. Virus back and sounding nice. Will need to clean keyboard I think but the random top G might not be a tragic thing, we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment