Thursday 1 April 2021

BB x 3 = Bliss?

With the third Blackbox arriving today, it's interesting to see how each of my three work areas hang together. 

BB1 - Digitone core, GR-1 and System 8 supplemented by Ody, DFAM, Blofeld & some modules. Synthi too.

BB2 - Cirklon core, bulk of studio, two mixers, the Makenoise Euro case, Touche, favourite analogues and rack gear.

BB3 - Octatrack core, supporting synths such as JD-XA/P3/RC-505 jam combo, Minilogue xd, Analogue Four and whatever else is handy.

It seems to me that BB1 is optimised for ambient, spacey, textural material. BB2 is the most generic 'workstation' setup for everything from conventional ANT material to my indulgent synth/sequencer noodles. BB3 would be able to cover that on a smaller scale but also concentrate on the weirder grooves and sample fuckery that the OT excels at. 

Wednesday - gloriously sunny. Had a splendid time chilling with Pat, had a walk in the morning, did some of that monster jigsaw together, took Caspian for a walk and even got some time in the studio to explore the new setup. As always the Blackbox makes everything hang together. I installed a DE-200 delay for use with the mixer and will probably recable at some point, putting the stereo gear into stereo channels and leaving space for a few weird things like the Lyra, Microgranny and Pipe. Started something based on JP-6 through RC-505 and grabbed a few random loops from that along with some Tanzbar and one track which was purely the DE-200 version of some odd Jupiter noises. Then I made bolognese. 


Thursday. A windy morning, so naturally the council's leaf blowers are earnestly blowing leaves from the library car park onto the adjacent public footpath. I was going to say something but then remembered it was April 1st. I expect tomorrow it will be the footpath's turn.

I had an idea for the remix. Also contacted about a collab of art/music - and the art seems to be fairly close to some of my novel 'multi brain personality' things. I will see if anything occurs but will try my remix idea first.

Proof arrived. Need to better align text on front and spine but I've started tweaking text again anyway. Good afternoon in studio, started a thing using Don's voice and weird loops from 505.


Friday tomorrow, lots to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment