Tuesday 27 April 2021

Sunny Friday Waiting for Pat

 She sounded really tired this morning after the de luxe horse box's heater broke down, leaving them both icy. Poor thing been away too long. Have done a chilli for tonight and rethought the track-in-progress to my satisfaction. 

Basked all morning, noticed myself a bit red so retired to studio and put my ideas into practice, which worked nicely. The scant Perfourmer things from yesterday totally rescued it. Also nice to have the Virus back in action - so much quicker finding stuff I can use or tweak with that (than the Hydrasynth, which takes forever in comparison). Added an obviously 101 sequence but it seemed to fit the slow and ponderous mini bass so a good day. Now waiting wait for Pat and reading more of Edgar's book. I think we might have passed the years of most interest to me but still fascinating to read his thoughts and (presumably) re-imagined conversations. 

Hmm, somewhat relaxed. Best day of week, oddly enough, maybe cos I had no plans or expectations from it. Spooky!

Well now, it's Tuesday and rather wet and gloomy - ideal for some studio time. Finished Edgar's book over the weekend - it ended with some thoughts on art, piracy, low-hanging fruit and other bits. I felt it sad he seemed unreconciled with Jerome and there was no mention of Jerome's work on the excellent Dream Mixes - the only post-Schmoelling TD I can listen to. Not sure I agree that you should put your fruit where people like Geoff and Conrad are guaranteed to reach it but hey, who am I to comment?

Oh, I bought a Memotron. To cut a long story short, listening back to all that old stuff, I decided it was the one instrument I liked but never really got an authentic-sounding version of. By that I mean the full 35 note, 8 second wonder of each tape frame as I have lots of partial solutions. The wonders of Facebook put me (back) in touch with an old Streetly employee who just happened to have a well-stocked one, unopened for a not-unreasonable price. So there goes my half of the last PRS cheque ;)

I did have a slight ulterior motive too: some of the ideas for the Gas Giant album would really suit the spooky strings and choirs of old Berlin School albums. In another sense it's nice/typical that I embrace this so many decades after everyone else did.

Took a walk near Brinscall yesterday. Was sad poking around in those woods without Jasper. 










No comments:

Post a Comment