Monday 30 August 2021

New dice, more sun, a death and a near-death experience

 I ordered a set of D&D dice as I've completely given up hope of finding mine. I'm sure they'll turn up now. As I now have a setup per mixer (one just happens to share a sequencer) a four-sided dice should be ideal for choosing which one to use. I may think of uses for the other dice too, having picked a nice-looking set - seems things have moved on a bit since I last played. 

It's Saturday and would seem to be a great day for sitting drinking beer in the sun. Tim's in Wales though so I suppose I'll play music and try and work out why my novel's heroes have ended up in Scotland, the exact opposite direction the quest demanded a few pages earlier. It seems we aren't done with Hell's Project Managers after all. 

Started the morning with a bunch of vinyl - Acidrockers and Cluster so far. Seems to me that Headshock should put out something on vinyl. I mean, we've done cassette so why not? Oh yes, cos it costs loads and makes no sense given postage costs too. Still, it's time to get some of the fab new stuff assembled! Which means sitting in front of the computer (assuming it still works). Ah.

Well it seems the DRM-1 really is dead. The Virus, too, started rebooting today if I sent it too many MIDI notes to play. I wonder if that dead DSP is finally spreading its influence? Despite this, I recorded a thing that has promise - this won't be the last version but it's something to listen to. Had to be creative with the drums, meaning I dug out some random Proteus noises. 


I didn't just go down to 16 tracks because my DRM-1 died but for clarity in my new bisected Ck area. The only slight oddity at the moment is that they share a BlackBox and so when the Spirit mixer is on, the Behringer also need to be - so I can route audio without having to keep unplugging. I moved the TimeFactor to the Spirit mixer, breaking its long-standing partnership with the Perfourmer (I used the pan control to fade between the two delay halves). Now I have Space and a DD-20 on that mixer, accommodating the Synthi, MS20, Euroboxen and so on. I can tell what sort of stuff is going to emerge from that corner! The ER-1 can provide beats for both setups, at least for now. Given the flakiness of the Virus, I'll be boxing that up and probably bringing the Blofeld in in its place. Shame as it just delivered a wonderful PPG noise - fortunately one I have made a similar version of in the Blo.  

Bank Holiday Monday now. Waiting in for the Gousto man, Pat painting her stable and I'm thinking it's cooler today and therefore will be pleasant fixing a final few things at the 'Minimoog end'. Colin added some visual help for long patterns yesterday and I've nagged him about a few other missing features long overdue. I should probably give up on playlists, let alone my more advanced dreams of conditional dependencies and actions.







No comments:

Post a Comment