Thursday 5 August 2021

Remix done, Super-6 is mine!

 It's Sunday evening and Pat's watching the tiny bit of Olympics not sold off to the highest bidder. I just played back what Dean did to my latest remix - as always he turned it into gold, using some bass guitar from Don and some new chords, groove and arrangement. I was not sure of its value before but now I'm chuffed. 
Taking Marg to hospital again in the morning, this the 4th appointment so far. Pat tried to book an emergency appointment for her too and the best they can do is August - 2022. Hopefully I won't miss delivery of my Super-6. Also hopefully it won't be so hot I can't get in the studio...
Right, got a 500 word thing for SOS to write...

Tuesday now Spent the morning with the Super 6 just in case it warms up this afternoon. Easily the most inspiring synth in a very long time - like having a modern Jupiter 6 but with a whole new list of features to learn and exploit. I've been making loads of new patches to replace the factories and appreciate a few little touches such as the very logical way you can compare any patch with the current edit buffer. The sliders are starting to ease up a bit but some of those grey selector knobs feel a bit wobblier than I'd like. The filter FM sounds fabulous and I tried out the weird Nick Batt-inspired LFO waveform thing, which has potential. Would love to change a few things of course - the switch thing I've mentioned elsewhere but also I'd prefer the DDS2 tune to be a fine-control more than its current wide mode which isn't always easy to find zero with. Have asked Ben if I can get on the testing/ideas collective. 


Weirdly, I just 'found' a long jam from February this year that has some darn good stuff in it. I'm not even sure which part of the studio I did it in but I was obviously in a good mood. The fact it's called '2021_feb11_work1' suggests that it was recorded into Logic and is possibly Cirklon-sourced, at least this seems consistent with the instrumentation. Ah yes, just heard some obvious Perfourmer and I think the drums are DRM-1. Double-weirdly there's a 'work2' from the same day, where I appear to have shifted to the Digitone end - it's all odd sequences and granular wibbles. That must have been quite a day!
Friday today, am anticipating a glorious, indeed Super, afternoon. I've already rewritten the first 64 patches and have started on the second half. Hardly used the sequencer or arpeggiator yet - feel there are some usability improvement to be made there but apparently some are scheduled for the next update. I've been added to the beta list so hopefully will have input in future. Yesterday I recorded a few more ambient noises into the BB using just the Cosmos and the Super 6, all jolly lovely. I need to start jotting down review notes on the Cosmos now I've got my head around it properly. 

Hmmm it's another week, month, whatever. I should probably have started a new entry but then again wtf ;)
Monday went for a walk up White Coppice. Wednesday Hardknott and Harter Fell (bloody hot and we got lost coming back down). 





Lakes pix






Oh, John came on Tues and we drank beer and pottered in the studio. He took some photos but I think I've posted enough already. That dreary Michael Johnson keeps popping up on sporty programs; pretty sure he'd never be given a job at the Samaritans...
New EP out tomorrow. Will post links and vids and stuff all over the place, no doubt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment