Wednesday 27 October 2021

BlackBox BuzzKill

 Yeah I was on my original BB today, still running version 1.7.F, and a long ambient recording simply ended, telling me Error with recording. Bloody useful that. It seemed that a fair way in it had simply started to flatline but then, ages later, packed in altogether. Editing using the onboard tools seemed impossible because I couldn't find a way of incrementing the encoder movement in large chunks - and after 10 mins twirling I gave up. 

Now I don't know whether to try going back to 1.6.5, which I always felt the most stable, or to skip to the new 2.0, with its tiny text and horrible graphics. I guess it might be a card issue but it reckons there's 13Gb left - however all the issues I've ever had have been when cards start to get full and this certainly ain't the case here. 

Arse! Opened file in Audentity and discovered the BB had set the recording at 3.5 hours long! Even though I'd been recording for just over 2 mins. I really should go back to 1.6.5 I think.

Wednesday, playing through the new thing with Paul E and loving what he's done already - not that I had any doubts. He also sent the finished triptych and a bandy thing involving a couple of other guys - he's on fire, basically. It's inspired me to try and do something in the next day or so, before the wee man descends on us at the weekend or possibly Friday. Pat excited about that, bless 'er. Gonna get Dawn something nice for her birthday as the poor thing has suffered a bit with covid. Just hope they don't bring it with 'em as Pat's still not quite over her last infection, although the new super antibiotics are blitzing her system. 

May be closer to solving DRM-1 issue. I noticed that when I pulled the power cable at the rear, all the trig LEDs flashed briefly. I pushed it back in again and the triggering now works. Then I turned it off and on again with the button and it reverted to not triggering. Pulling the cable at the rear and reattaching, then it works again. So I guess it's something power supply related. On another note, I spotted lots of internal trimpots. It made me curious whether more extreme ranges for the drums are available, if I knew what each was for...  ;)


Hmmm it's been a few days but been grandparenting so no time for much music until yesterday (and today). Managed to do a fair bit for Paul's 30 min track, just a few weirdy bits needed for the end. Next few days should sort it. The Super 6 and Jupiter 6 (through Cosmos looper) working well - but would still take the DD-20 over the Cosmos I think - seeing the time is so darn useful although I did manage to make a loop today based on the JP-6 S&H, which worked well. 

BlackBox version 2 has 'compatibility mode' which does not try any of the high speed tricks needed for greater polyphony. I've tried this and it does seem back to its old self - more testing needed. Means I'll have to go to V2 on all my machines though otherwise could start failing when playing the MicroSD lottery. Had a good solution for the Octatrack playing long pieces too - setting start points on different steps, setting them to '1st' when needed then to 'fill' after, which effectively mutes them. Used Hydrasynth a bit today but as usual it was slow and awkward when needed. Might replace with MS20 tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment