Friday 11 January 2013

The Hobbit

OK, I was pleasantly surprised having expected to be bandying around the Tolkien phrase about butter being spread over too much bread. In fact almost all of the padding was beneficial and ditto for the changes introduced. It did have a little more depth than the book but, again, it worked. I'll be seeing the next two parts at home though. I'm definitely not going to pay over £8 a ticket to sit in a large cold room where you can't pause the action or turn the lights off. Seriously, I went to ask them to turn off the lights and they refused, lying "we can't turn them off". What kind of place installs lights with no switches? At least it wasn't in 3D which is impossible to watch when there are many competing ambient light sources.
Moan over. Great film but Odeon (and Vue) can bugger off in future.

Later we got pizza (delicious) and I'm hoping this evening to watch the third of the dragon tattoo films, last night's episode left us tense but ready for more. That's assuming I can banish the memories of zillions of goblins crawling over rocks from my mind! Oh, should have said, Martin Freeman was excellent as Bilbo, just as perfectly cast as Elijah Wood as Frodo.

The Eventide repair is gonna be £68+£20 delivery. Got the message while out so I may have missed out on extra charges, not great but no choice really. At least they nailed the problem and it should last now. Bad vibes to the guy who dropped it on me, quite rare to find that level of musician/arsehole combination but it does happen from time to time. I did get a bad feeling that day he came here with his list of questions and "can I try this" even though it was clear I was ill at the time. Hope he went away with the sickness diarrhoea thing too! No, I don't, not really.

You'll notice it's another day of no work from me. Tomorrow I shall endeavour to care. Now, back to scouring the net for decent telescope deals...

Did I mention Samplr rules?? Well, it does. Could actually do a gig with just that. First iPad app I've known where you could say that and do something totally spontaneous yet different each time. Must put in all my recent long Synthi tracks.

Playing pinball while Pat watches Corrie. Chilling with the ambient stuff, I think I'm onto something here. That new track not quite as good as I'd hoped but it's fixable. Thank heavens I'm starting to mulititrack.
Mod Factor will be useful for another track I have in mind. Playing pinball always reminds me of Rich. He usually beat me cos he was way better at it. One thing I remember is he never stopped flipping the flippers, totally hyper with it. The table recognises that I'm convinced, even in the software versions. Must be an unwritten rule. Rich use to flick everything non-stop in hire cars when I was driving. Every appliance he tried it. Same in hotel rooms, every TV channel, every nook and cranny, to hell with the minibar and vomit in the sink. No, that was me. And leaving all the hotel sheets and towels covered in red hair dye, setting off the fire alarm, having about 6-8 people sleeping in our room as well as us, I think we crept out in the morning, happy fucking days. I must tell his kids these stories one day, would love to see them again. Time to talk to Darryl, he'd understand. I miss the appliance flicking, nobody did it with greater panache, charm and charisma. Stoned, you can tell eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment