Wednesday 30 March 2016

Distrokid - less fun than the Bisto Kids

So I thought I'd try this recommended distribution thing, meant to be better than CD Baby. First day was very frustrating though and this morning, there's more woe. Basically this very primitive service sorts out the sending of your albums to 'stores' such as iTunes, Amazon, Spotify etc. It's not a real alternative to bandcamp if you like the option to download without compression though. I also missed the little detail that you have to pay them every year or your albums will be taken down!

Anyway, I started uploading Headshock albums first since I'm still letting my new one 'bed in'. First problem was a biggy - if you have any kind of transmission error or interruption, they have one solution: do it all again. So if you have a 20 track album and track 20 fails for some reason, not only do you have to re-upload the lot, you also have to type all the data in again too. Unbelievable! Worse, they will arbitrarily reject titles they think stores won't like. You can't call your song whatever you like, you're advised to 'check spotify and see how others do it'. Seriously! So this morning I notice a whole album has been rejected because some of the titles weren't approved. And you can guess the solution: upload the whole thing again, retype all the titles...

So beware of that. It probably works well if you upload a single track at a time. Just don't dare include the year in your song title because they don't like things like that...

Back to work today. After two days of baby-handling and going to hospital to visit Pat's aunt, it's a relief to actually sit down and think of some review stuff. Kinda looking forward to Sonic Weekend because I can escape the growing tedium of day to day existence. Jasper is losing it too, I think. He wanders around the house staring at me, poor old sod seems forever hungry now and his mind ain't coping well with the stress of the baby yowling and generally doing unpredictable things. I know how he feels there, at least. Right, time for a spot of fish-bending!



No comments:

Post a Comment