Friday 4 March 2016

Fun, fudge and fiddling

Well, here we all are. I've been listening to a lot of music lately - and non-Headshock for a change. The boxed set of Dark Side of the Moog has been entertaining me (I had iffy CDR copies but always meant to buy the proper thing if it became available) and today I'm listening to Nemesis. I first heard these guys when in Finland and Kimmo gave me a CD (he did the artwork). Now I have two more CDs as they kindly boosted my order when they realised it was me. I will, of course, send them some of my stuff in return. Poor bastards.

Back in reviewing mode, a cool synth is en route and a few sample library and iOS apps are on the go. Also some fascinating Minilogue stuff after the Sonic State review, which claimed to have a workaround for the envelope behaviour. I smelled a rat when it was meant to be a menu item related to portamento and when I noticed that Nick avoided replicating our 'release to attack' test, keeping his playing strictly legato.
Even so, I was prepared to admit I'd missed something (however unlikely and awkward that felt) and also prepared, if necessary, to enter a menu to make this 'analog' synth behave like one. However, it turns out to be just more ill-informed bollocks, of the same type I've heard from almost everyone else. I give in and have started quoting the relevant Synth Secrets (envelopes) link and asking people to read, to look at figure 14 (which illustrates the Minilogue behaviour) and think. People need diagrams, apparently. Videos, even really simple ones, are wilfully misunderstood. And still I know there will still be folks determined to talk about single or multi triggering...!

I wake this morning to snow falling, quite heavilty. It's bloody March FFS! And I have a longish drive for a gig next weekend. :(

I've done a lot of moaning lately about the cutting down of our nature reserve and to a council who couldn't give a shit. I'm trying to adopt the same attitude of not giving a shit (the Minilogue video has helped) but I can't see that ending well. If experienced synth people can't get their head round zeroing envelopes, we're pretty much bound to end up with President Trump.



Today I will be mostly in the studio playing with synths whose envelopes work properly. I hope I have the resilience not to reply to any more fucking idiots but after a few Friday afternoon beers, it could get ugly. Pat's right, I'm a shit teacher.


The weird silence in which (you hope) awareness is finally dawning in those merrie multitudes who missed the point. Begorrah, today I made a new tune. NO, two. I was meant to be working out what to play at gig now way too much choice. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment